Go Natural Multisport Race 18th Aug: Riders Wanted

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » 29 Jun 2007, 08:26

Hi All,

I've signed up to do the Go Natural Multisport race at Akuna Bay on the 18th Aug. The event involves a 32km road cycle leg, 12km paddle, and 12km trail run. A mate from Lane Cover kayakers is also keen to do the race, but wants to do it as part of a team, so he is after some riders.

Here is his email:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have a few paddlers that wish to do the Multisport race as a relay.

I am looking for 1 preferably 2 riders but even three would be good so that we can paddle and form 3 teams. I can probably find enough runners but if you can find a rider with a mate that runs then that’s OK too.

As you know the course from Akuna Bay to west head has a fair hill component so they should be aware of that.

Can you ask around and see if anyone is interested. If we leave it too long the entries will close and I wont enter unless we have a team.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've spoken to a couple of multisporters that did the race last year and apparently it's a great event & comes highly recommended.

If anyone is interested, could they either PM me or reply on this messageboard.

In addition, I'm going to head up this Sat or Sun morning to do the ride and run component of the course so if anyone wants to come along to do either, that would be great.

The event website is at: http://www.maxadventure.com.au/multisport/theCourse.htm

Cheers,
Alan Whiteman

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 29 Jun 2007, 10:28

Hi Alan, is it a relay or do we do all 3 legs?

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » 29 Jun 2007, 11:03

Hi Alan, is it a relay or do we do all 3 legs?
Hi Mike,

Graeme from lane cove kayakers is looking for someone to do the bike ride leg, so in this case it's a relay (when he finds his runner!). However you can enter as an individual and do all three if you want.

He is over 40 & is paddling pretty well at the moment, so I imagine the most competitive team category would be "Veteran Relay (40+)", but that shouldn't rule out anyone < 40 from putting their hand up for the riding component.

The other thing to note is that in the final instructions from last year (http://www.maxadventure.com.au/multispo ... _Final.pdf) they state "aero bars or any form of aero bars not permitted", so it'll favour the standard roadie on the standard geometry road bike. I should check that the rule hasn't changed for this year's event though.

Cheers,
Alan

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 29 Jun 2007, 15:02

Based on the description of the route, I doubt that a tri-bike would have that much of a advantage over a standard bike, perhaps as little as 30 seconds

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 01 Jul 2007, 22:34

It seems to be a saturday morning race, so i might be able to fit it in before work (i'll probably be starting at 1pm). I'll let you know when i confirm what i've got on.

Kieran

Postby Kieran » 04 Jul 2007, 17:27

I could help out, I just may need transport to akuna bay. may be too young though (26)

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 04 Jul 2007, 17:52

Alan, the entry fee is a bit pricy, is that due to some sort of liability thats not covered under our current bike racing licenses?

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » 05 Jul 2007, 08:11

I could help out, I just may need transport to akuna bay. may be too young though (26)
I don't think age is an issue; it just means the category will be Relay rather than Veteran Relay. Transport wouldn't be a problem - paddler Graeme who is putting the team together will be heading up there on the morning, as will I.

Cheers,
Alan W

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » 05 Jul 2007, 08:26

Alan, the entry fee is a bit pricy, is that due to some sort of liability thats not covered under our current bike racing licenses?
Hi Mike,

Maybe it is steep; I'm not really sure what the going rate for multisport events is so it's hard to judge. The cycling course is approx 31km's so at $65 (team entry fee) it works out at about $2.10 per km for the privilege of competing - paddlers get it worse...for them it's $5.40 per km!

I don't think there is any affiliation between this event and Australian Cycling/Australian Canoeing, so perhaps a significant component of the fees go towards insurance costs.

How much do cycling events costs nowadays?

Cheers,
Alan W

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 05 Jul 2007, 10:52

Oh, so the $65 is for the entire team, not the individual within the team?

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 05 Jul 2007, 12:04

Seems to be $65 per person in the team, so a bit too expensive in my opinion. Most entry fees for cycling opens are between $25 and $40, unless it's a big race like Grafton ($120). Tamworth tour is $80, but that's basically 3 races, and Coonabarabran to Gunnedah was $65, but that included dinner. Victoria is much cheaper for race entries.

I won't know for sure if i have time to do it until much closer to the event, and for me the entry fee puts me off a bit.

Return to “Conversation”