Slllliiiingshotttt Effect

Road cycling & upcoming rides
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 10 Feb 2009, 22:58

Good evening everyone

As we are having healthy discussions on riding etiquette, speed etc, thought I would start another thread for discussion.

Most of us will be very aware of the slingshot effect. This is when a bunch of riders start to take off from a standing stop (such as at lights), and the front of the group is well down the road by the time the back of the group even gets going. The back of the group have to chase, or spin furiously to close the gap and for everyone to get back into peleton formation.

A couple of us have noticed and discussed lately that there is a tendency for some people when leading, to take off very fast out of the saddle, almost as if they are chasing imaginary riders in front. Then of course all riders follow suit. So then we have double the Slingshot effect.

If ever at the front, by all means get out of the saddle to get going, but keep the pace relaxed, and slowly increase speed knowing that it will take a good 20 to 40 seconds for the bunch to all come back neatly together. There will of course be the 'slingshot effect' but this will be a natural gap and not a race!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 11 Feb 2009, 06:17

I think the mentality here is, are you leading and looking after a bunch or trying to race a bunch? Then there can be two angles in reading this problem I guess,

1) Sun Waterfall bunches AFAIK are meant to be for training and not a race. For race paced training, head to Heffron or Tempe. Otherwise, look after the bunch you are leading and keep it together. If you want to hammer as part of your own training, then indicate so and ride solo, no one will stop you and may even take along a few others. But if you are not, then think of the bunch and look after it.

2) You can't hide in our bunch! Work for the bunch at the front or suffer at the back. Either way, you can't escape. So might as well get to the front and pull. :lol:

micklan

Postby micklan » 11 Feb 2009, 12:17

Um, I heard the SS effect came into operation as there is only 2 umbrellas at the cafe - seats in the shade were up for grabs...but I agree it was hard work to get back on at The Grand Parade last Sunday as the group had split to about 4 pods after the lights :shock:

On Grand Parade drive it probably makes sense to stay together due to increase in traffic as its 9am as we move thru there - safety in a tight bunch thru that section is very handy

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 11 Feb 2009, 14:53

Given our numbers these days at the cafe, can't we make a request/demand that there'd be more umbrellas? I'd say that we have enough leverage with our numbers.

Who is the main contact person with the cafe?

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 11 Feb 2009, 15:42

Um, I heard the SS effect came into operation as there is only 2 umbrellas at the cafe - seats in the shade were up for grabs...
I'd like to rename it the "coffee effect". Christian and I's break away would of been successful if not for that bloody red light. mumble mumble

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 11 Feb 2009, 18:03

Given our numbers these days at the cafe, can't we make a request/demand that there'd be more umbrellas? I'd say that we have enough leverage with our numbers.

Who is the main contact person with the cafe?
Getting the best seats at the cafe' is the major driving force for the fasties on the return journey.

Terry

Postby Terry » 11 Feb 2009, 19:44

Um, I heard the SS effect came into operation as there is only 2 umbrellas at the cafe - seats in the shade were up for grabs

This doesn't explain why it happens on the way out to waterfall.

timyone

Postby timyone » 12 Feb 2009, 13:09

the start of the way back to waterfall is where people start to speed up.

Return to “Road”