Nerd Alert - using the Hosts file to kill internet adverts

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 05 May 2009, 13:12

Came upon this method to reduce the amount of adverts you get when you open web pages. Anyone tried something like this ?

http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

Wikipedia has a bit of info on this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 05 May 2009, 13:27

Mike

I've used it in the past, however, I much prefer Adblock Plus for Firefox

http://adblockplus.org/en/

I haven't seen an add in who knows how long. A must install for anyone using Firefox.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 05 May 2009, 13:31

There are good ad blockers for most browsers. Much easier to use than playing with Host File etc. There's also a blocking technique using Style Sheet.

On Mac Safari, SafariBlock has been working well for me.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 05 May 2009, 13:44

Mike

I've used it in the past, however, I much prefer Adblock Plus for Firefox

http://adblockplus.org/en/

I haven't seen an add in who knows how long. A must install for anyone using Firefox.

James
Cool, I've installed it, its not just about the adverts, there's the data cost involved, I'd say that the majority of my bandwith usage was for the advertising and I'm paying per Gb.

Probably works on Flock and Chrome too, as they are using the firefox engine.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 05 May 2009, 15:03

Hmm, works well, but all the good ads are gone too!!! :shock: Guess i can cope!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 05 May 2009, 17:32

Chrome doesn't use Mozilla's backend. It uses WebKit, which is the backend used by Safari.

The other thing to check is that some ad blockers only block the display of ads while allowing their download in the background. A very data efficient alternative (from dial-up days) is to stop the display of all images. You can then individually click on image placemarkers to download them, as needed.

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 05 May 2009, 17:57

Speaking as a journo who basically gets paid by advertisers (albeit in a roundabout way) by all means ignore or block ads. But give the odd one a sympathy click to keep a roof over my head! :lol:

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 05 May 2009, 19:04

Chrome doesn't use Mozilla's backend. It uses WebKit, which is the backend used by Safari.

The other thing to check is that some ad blockers only block the display of ads while allowing their download in the background. A very data efficient alternative (from dial-up days) is to stop the display of all images. You can then individually click on image placemarkers to download them, as needed.
Doesn't prevent them being downloaded.... That's an issue, how do I get around that one?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 05 May 2009, 19:22

Doesn't prevent them being downloaded.... That's an issue, how do I get around that one?
The "good" ones do. It has to do where in the path they intercept the request.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 05 May 2009, 20:38

I'll leave the hosts file in place until I know which Ad blocker to get.

So which Ad blocker ?

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 06 May 2009, 08:14

Speaking as a journo who basically gets paid by advertisers (albeit in a roundabout way) by all means ignore or block ads. But give the odd one a sympathy click to keep a roof over my head! :lol:
I for one already do this on sites that I want to see continue. Basically that means the SMH, selected IT & cycling sites along with motorcycling stuff. I don't actually then read any of the stuff that comes up in the new tab, I just try to give the site some revenue, however small from my one click.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 06 May 2009, 08:21

I'll leave the hosts file in place until I know which Ad blocker to get.
So which Ad blocker ?
Depends on which browser you use.

AdBlocker Plus looked to have the desirable block function. It both "block" and "hides".
http://adblockplus.org/en/faq_internal#policies

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 06 May 2009, 08:57

I for one already do this on sites that I want to see continue. Basically that means the SMH, selected IT & cycling sites along with motorcycling stuff. I don't actually then read any of the stuff that comes up in the new tab, I just try to give the site some revenue, however small from my one click.
Hooray! Now my children have shoes :lol:

timyone

Postby timyone » 06 May 2009, 10:06

yeah i hardly notice adds, and click on them every so often either by accident, or to help companies think they are working :D

timyone

Postby timyone » 06 May 2009, 10:07

yeah i make sure i read all the cycling articles on smh.com.au, as i totally cant be bothered tryning to work out what i want to read on those complicated cycling sites :S though i know i should. Im hoping that if every one reads them on smh, they will put more in :D

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 06 May 2009, 12:04

I don't mind the google ad's they are low bandwidth and not in your face.

As I never click on ad's, I don't see any benefit from paying for them to download on my 3G network connection.

Return to “Conversation”