Coota Carnage-Skinney's hopes go down with 40 riders

Road cycling & upcoming rides
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 10 May 2009, 16:24

Race report Day 1 - Coota 70km graded Handicap
Racers: Al, Ron, Bill, Skinney (TBone), Alex R (first open) and me.

Al, and Ron started in limit group but were on their own soon and Bill lasted 25kms before being dropped.

I started in the next Group with debutant Alex but the greulling long climb out of Coota got me at 9km mark just 30 metres from the top. Bad timing eh!

Alex did well and only when groups came together at the last part did he lose his bigger group on the last hill sprint. He came back about mid paced. Well done Alex.

Our hopes were with Skinney but word came through of 40 riders going down 5 kms from the end in a bunch that had grown to 100. Broken spokes in both wheels and a bloody knee was his lucky escape. There were four hospitalised with minor injuries. 2 collarbones, 1 dislocated elbow and one broken ribs.

Luckily for Tbone Alex had a spare set of wheels for the next day.

Race report to continue (reported from Al's van)

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 10 May 2009, 16:33

Nooooo poor James, hes not having very good luck at these races. Hopefully Lindsay can work his magic with the wheels and get everything back together.

Congrads to everyone for putting in a great effort.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 10 May 2009, 17:50

I've got some wheels i can chuck on. I'm mainly happy i was one of the later riders to fall on the pile (only 2 others on top from memory), and only a nice chainring associated scratch down my leg as a result, no serious injury for me luckily.

timyone

Postby timyone » 10 May 2009, 21:14

the Law name wasnt mentioned was it? because theres a few of the Law family that have been involved in a serious crash some where.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 10 May 2009, 21:16

Gee that sounds nasty! Must be the biggest crash in a few years. I was going to say worst but then I thought about Geoff's introduction to Megan Dunn a few years ago & thought maybe not?

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 10 May 2009, 22:06

Gee that sounds nasty! Must be the biggest crash in a few years. I was going to say worst but then I thought about Geoff's introduction to Megan Dunn a few years ago & thought maybe not?
Megan happened last year at Coota as well. She was up and about the next day - nothing broken, other than chipped teeth and a scar on her chin from memory.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 11 May 2009, 13:01

the Law name wasnt mentioned was it? because theres a few of the Law family that have been involved in a serious crash some where.
Found this on Nowra Velo Club site:

Almost forgot to mention the 30-40 rider pile up (sic:at Coota), probably one of the biggest ever seen, some riders didn't even touch the ground!
Also Grant Law is in an induced coma after he & his two sons Scott & Jackson fell during a warm up for the Illawarra club race yesterday. Surgons removed a blood clot the size of a manderin from his brain. Jackson has a broken collerbone.

timyone

Postby timyone » 12 May 2009, 08:30

Found this on Nowra Velo Club site:

Almost forgot to mention the 30-40 rider pile up (sic:at Coota), probably one of the biggest ever seen, some riders didn't even touch the ground!
Also Grant Law is in an induced coma after he & his two sons Scott & Jackson fell during a warm up for the Illawarra club race yesterday. Surgons removed a blood clot the size of a manderin from his brain. Jackson has a broken collerbone.
cool thanx, i knew the details, and we assumed that it was in their own club racing. Grant is a guy that i accidentally lead out for a wheel race win, and his son thats broken his collar bone is the australian record holder for one of the time trial events, for any one that doesnt know them. they play a big part in winter racing.

Return to “Road”