Basic Bicycle Maintennce

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
jimmy

Postby jimmy » 02 Aug 2009, 18:27

At the cafe today, there was some discussion about Bicycle Maintenance and good shops to take your precious bicycle to, knowing that you are going to get a good service.

Anyway, I have run two courses at work for those who are commuting or doing some cycling on how to do basic maintenance of their own bikes, I covered generally simple stuff like changing tyres, patching tubes etc, as well as things like adjusting brakes, gears etc. It is designed to help people do the basic things that should take 10-15 minutes that are really annoying to take to the shop. The course was geared towards flat bar bikes with V Brakes, so some of the instructions are going to be wrong compared to a road bike, but you should be able to get the idea.

Here are the notes that I handed out to those who attended.

http://www.jamescheetham.net/dhbcforumi ... Course.pdf

Please note, that there is a warning associated with these, especially when adjusting your brakes, use your common sense. If you are unsure, take it to a shop. I take no responsibility for anything that you do to your bike which then causes you to have an accident.

James

Return to “Conversation”