Question about LOOK Pedals

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Trouty

Postby Trouty » 30 Sep 2009, 18:20

Does anyone know if you need different cleats for a Look pedal, than you would use on a shimano pedal? I know the look is lighter and cheaper than the Durace Pedals, but there seems to also be 2 kinds. ONe marked White Look Carbon pedal and the other just Look Carbon pedal - yet the prices are quiet a bit more.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Pedal ... d_Clip-In/

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 30 Sep 2009, 18:28

Yes, Look and Shimano use different cleats. Couldn't work out the difference between the 2 look pedals though, they seem the same to me.

willster

Postby willster » 30 Sep 2009, 20:23

Both the Look pedals in that link(aside from being shite) use different cleats. Can't go wrong with Dura Ace pedals tho. Saw numerous busted Keo pedals(body came off the spindle) when wrenching at a shop, and the other ones are.. plastic.. don't bother.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 30 Sep 2009, 20:58

Both the Look pedals in that link(aside from being shite) use different cleats. Can't go wrong with Dura Ace pedals tho. Saw numerous busted Keo pedals(body came off the spindle) when wrenching at a shop, and the other ones are.. plastic.. don't bother.
Thanks Willster and T-Bone, good to know. I guess Durace is the go if you are cashed up. Of course they would use different cleats! Just another way to make money out of us I guess.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 30 Sep 2009, 21:08

You can always go with Ultegra SPD-SL. I understand that it's just as durable as DA but a tad heavier. They have this polished gun metal version and looks really sexy!

Toff

Postby Toff » 04 Oct 2009, 08:25

Statement seems a bit ambiguous. Look Keo pedals use different cleats to Shimano Dura Ace pedals. All Look Keo pedals though, regardless of which one you have, use the same cleat.

Having said that, there are two versions of cleat compatible with Look Keo pedals: the original, and the "Look Keo Grip Cleat", but both cleats will work with any Look Keo pedal.

Despite the marketing hype, the Look Keo pedal is essentially the same as the previous Look Delta pedal, but just sufficiently different to allow Look to apply a new patent. In 2005, the Look Delta patent ran out, which is why Look changed to Keo.

Early Look Keo pedals (especially the Keo Sprint) had a manufacturing defect, and were recalled (in 2007 I think). I'm not surprised that early ones were "shite", but I've not heard any complaints since the recall.

I still use Look Delta pedals and cleats on all my bikes. Much cheaper than Keo (or Shimano) and with a larger cleat surface area, I suffer no discomfort or foot pressure on long rides.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 04 Oct 2009, 21:22

You can always go with Ultegra SPD-SL. I understand that it's just as durable as DA but a tad heavier. They have this polished gun metal version and looks really sexy!
Oh well, Weiyun has just summed up the most important thing..." Looking Sexy". Anyway - It's great to have all this feedback, so thanks every one. Look pedals are out as I want to keep the same shoes over 3 different bikes, so Ultegra will have to be the go on the new bike. Durace is a bit too pricey.

Return to “Road”