New Power Meter looks like a winner!!

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 30 Aug 2007, 17:58

Just noticed this new Power Meter to be released at the end of the year.

http://quarq.us/

Seems to use a similar method to the SRM for measuring power, so it should be fairly accurate. It's wireless, and will be compatible with the new Garmin Edge 705, giving you GPS as well as power measuring capabilities, as well as Quarq's own open source head unit, allowing people to customise it to suit.

I'm just not sure i like the options for compatible crank arms.

When the price is released i'll be able to see if it's worthwhile, but i expect it to be a lot cheaper than SRM (and lighter), though the parts must be purchased seperately.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 30 Aug 2007, 18:56

Yes, that Garmin Edge 705 looked great. It's a logical step to add a power function.

Yep, that Quarq design sucks given its lack of compatibility with Shimano or Campy cranks. Yet again, I wouldn't be surprised if the two biggies will bring out their own system.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 30 Aug 2007, 19:03

I wouldn't expect a system from shimano, as there's already that Dura-Ace SRM. If there were more crank options the Quarq would be great, and depending on pricing it still may be, though SRM is releasing a wireless sytem too.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 30 Aug 2007, 19:08

I thought that SRM is/will be compatible with Garmin Edge 705, communicating through that ANT protocol. The question is whether PowerTap is or is not compatible.

I think the price of these will come down with greater competition. It's a matter of time before they'll come into the consumer space.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 30 Aug 2007, 20:47

Yeah, the wireless SRM is the one that will be compatible. Hasn't been released yet. I think the Powertap will be compatible, it uses a 2.4Ghz transmission, and i did read something unofficial mentioning ANT, so i suspect it could work. The reason i wouldn't get a powertap is i would need one for each wheelset.

I guess the Quarq has a similar problem to the Ergomo in that you need the cranks to suit, though to a greater degree, but i expect it to be more accurate and cheaper.

Hopefully prices will come down a bit. I did see 1 or 2 people in my bunch at Cootamundra with SRM's so they are getting a bit more common. Hopefully i'll be able to find a way to claim any power meter i buy on tax, as a study expense or something.

Return to “Conversation”