Old Bikes.

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
murphy

Postby murphy » 24 Oct 2010, 13:28

Hi,this is my 1st. appearance on the forum,I was told some of you might be able to help me find out the value of a couple of old bikes I have?both track bikes. The 1st. is a Bundy,yellow frame,hand written script of the rider's name,basically needs air in the tyres,it'd be about 30yrs+ I'm guessing,the other is a Tollis,it to,only needs air,although the bars are the old 'pedestrian',going to the shops to get bread,style,the racing bars must have been changed around on non-race days?It has a kooky rear end that has a fixed sprocket on 1 side & a rachet sprocket on the other,so it could be used for everyday use as well?It has Beautiful pin stripping & colour,says M.Tollis Mascot on the steering head,it'd have to be 40+years old.
Any info' would be appreciated folks.
Thankyou.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 24 Oct 2010, 21:50

some pictures posted here sure would help

murphy

Postby murphy » 25 Oct 2010, 12:18

Good Point!
The last 2 pics are of a very old long distance racer with the '6 day' saddle post & goose neck. The Tollis has D.R Tollis written on the vertical bottom bracket pipe,not the steering head,sorry,'been awhile since I've looked at them.

Toff

Postby Toff » 25 Oct 2010, 14:30

Ooh. Lindsay will be pleased. A Clem Eagle track bike. Nice tight track geometry too. Components look to be 1970s.

The Tollis is nothing special. Late 60s, or early 70s. Junk parts, and probably a low-end frame too.

The last bike looks really nice. Hideous repaint, which makes it as fairly worthless, but quite an interesting build. I do like the components, especially the hub "tap handles". Not sure why the wheels were replaced with smaller ones. Perhaps a conversion from 27" to 700C? This one is the oldest of the three. Built for a time when you rode your bike through potholes and grass as much as on bitumen, and the geometry reflects that. Could be 20s or 30s. The parts are not inconsistent with a 30s build. I wonder if the hubs have been painted, or if they might be 1980s BMX hubs. Purple hubs don't seem at all right. :?

I don't think the purpose of our club is to give monetary values to items to objects. As a club we are always helping each other out with free bits and pieces as well as bikes. Wouldn't want that to stop by posting what something is supposedly worth. In the end, something is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay, and that really isn't any of our business.

I will say that a nice old steel bike is valuable in so many ways. It has the sentimental value of the owner, and the accomplishments it has led him to. It has historical value as it captures a time gone by, that will never come back. And it has value to a potential up and coming athlete, who can acheive nothing without a functioning bicycle beneath him/her.

We have started a retro bicycle club recently, and any of these bikes would be welcome at our outings.

More to come on that shortly...

murphy

Postby murphy » 25 Oct 2010, 15:01

Thanks for the 'Head's-up'.Value as in,are they prosaic?or,do they have some cycling significance?Thanks to the advent of 'Google' I realise that 'Clem Eagle' was a frame builder,so it ain't a 'Bundy' after all.
The very old racer's wheels seem to be as old as the rest of it? They're the motorbike style nipple with the spoke hole centered,double bead for strenght & British barrels with oil fillers,the cranks are in a box somewhere?

Toff

Postby Toff » 25 Oct 2010, 15:36

Hmmm. Looking at the size of the rear hub barrells, I'm still not convinced they are period-correct. I will need a closer look I think... The boxed cranks will be cottered, like the ones on the Tollis. Cottered cranks were replaced by modern cotterless cranks in the late 60s, and gradually over the years, they were only seen on cheaper and cheaper bikes.

Unless you have the provenence of the bikes, I would not say they had any great "cycling significance". The Clem Eagle would have been custom made, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if you were able to track down "Barry", who I assume was the last ower, and possibly the man who commissioned Clem to build the bike.

The other two bikes don't have any frame features that make them significant. The Tollis was factory built, and my knowledge of "path racers" is not really good enough to tell you about whether the 1930s bike was factory built or custom. I would say it is worth looking more closely at the 1930s bike,to see if there are any serial numbers or other identifying marks. If you can identify the frame you may find out something useful. I think the parts on that frame are probably more valuable than the frame itself, even though they have been painted over, and I suspect will have rust damage...

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 31 Oct 2010, 08:21

Thought this thread may be of interest to some of the retro crowd

http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic ... 23&t=33573

Return to “Conversation”