Cramps

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
matt

Postby matt » 29 Oct 2007, 12:18

Hey guys, heres one for the DHBC medical Brains trust:

A couple of times over the last month or so i have experienced debilitating cramps in the legs, they happened early in the ride (after only a couple of ks) and were in both legs (mainly quads). I can't seem to pin down what is causing it.

I think i'm drinking enough water and have tried tissue salts. Any ideas about what might be causing them and any home remedies for getting rid of them once i do get em? Any advice would be appreciated.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 29 Oct 2007, 12:40

Matt,

I can't tell you what the problem is, but I have a tendency for cramps so I have magnesium pills everyday. It supplements whatever I seem to be missing out on.

It tends to work.

Also you can get magnesium powder called Muscle Ease (or Eaze), which is expensive and about $50 to $60. I take this as a special dose before a big ride, or when I'm feeling a bit crampy. Half a tea spoon can go into each water bottle as well.

Everyone is different, so if you are worried, get reviewed by a professional who might know the cause.

matt

Postby matt » 29 Oct 2007, 12:54

Thanks Geoff, what sort of magnesium pills do you use?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 29 Oct 2007, 13:28

Staminade contains Mg. Powder tubs are available through the supermarket.

Otherwise hydration as you said, and then there's sudden training overload, pre and post exercise stretching. If things still don't turn, then you should have your electrolyte checked out by your doctor.

Grant Bond

Postby Grant Bond » 29 Oct 2007, 14:49

I will leave the metabolic stuff to the experts...personally i use magnesium orotate...it works a treat. Need to dose up every day though.

Other things to consider.

1. Whats changed? Position different on Matt Black compared to your other bike, compensating for lower back and hand pain by shifting weight around, do you need to work on core strength.

2.Are you having a good breakfast to fire up the metabolism.

3.Are you mashing big gears? Drop them back untill it doesnt hurt and spin spin spin!

4. Are you bringing emergency supplies? I have found jelly snakes useful in some similar situations...and good to share with your riding partners :D

Cheers

Grant

matt

Postby matt » 29 Oct 2007, 20:00

Thanks guys, I've got some Magnesium into me and will see how i go. I'm also adressing the position and gearing issues so hopefully my legs will come good. Your advice was definitely worth a few snakes.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 29 Oct 2007, 22:45

For me, i always get cramps when my fitness is low, though i am learning to hold them on the virge of taking over (just before the muscle locks). They can also happen when increasing training amounts, though eventually the body will learn to handle the increased amount.

One day i'll get around to reading up on all this, but usually staying hydrated and having good salt levels (magnesium, potassium, etc.) should do the job. Training increases you can't really change other than doing it slowly, but i sometimes find the more you suffer the more you gain.

Hopefully the magnesium will help you out, i'm sure it'll all come together eventually.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 30 Oct 2007, 16:22

There's a good letter response on CyclingNews on this subject.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id= ... tters10-30

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 31 Oct 2007, 06:37

Having researched cramps there are enough different reasons to fill a book. The most common reason for cyclists is magnesium.

What happens is that the brain sends a message to the muscle to spasm to protect it from whatever.

matt

Postby matt » 31 Oct 2007, 12:13

Interesting tip about antacids in that article of yours weiyun, the ingredients of Quick-Eze are: calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate and magnesium trisilicate. As an emergency source of Ca and Mg they should make a very handy addition to the saddle bag, with the added bonus of helping to keep those powerbars from repeating. I'm buying some.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 31 Oct 2007, 12:30

Now you know the reason why people pay big bucks for a Mg frame. There's real performance advantage! Fe, Alu, Ti and CF frames just don't have the right therapeutic balance. :wink:
Last edited by weiyun on 31 Oct 2007, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.

matt

Postby matt » 31 Oct 2007, 13:22

and I hate picking carbon fibres out of my teeth

Return to “Conversation”