Race Report - Heffron Park C Grade 27 Oct 07

Road cycling & upcoming rides
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 27 Oct 2007, 21:30

Today was the fourth time in a row that I raced and not a Dully boy or girl anywhere.

Its such a great buzz out there. Fellas, where are ye??? (Time trialists are exempted!)

It was my 3rd C grade race. First time I did well and kept with the bunch to the sprint finish although there was a break of 2 ahead of us. Speed was just under 34kms per hour so not too different to D grade.

2nd time I got droppted after lap 5.

Today numbers were good. About 22. We went round really slowly so some guys made a break coming up to the end of the first lap. I chased the 3 guys and got so close, but just didn't have it. I was in no mans land for 1.5kms and was happy to fit back into the chasing peleton.

That was my first learning. To chase a breakaway had more chance of finishing me for the whole race. So next time, why not stick with the group. Maybe when I'm a bit stronger.

We did get the break a bit later, and there were further surges. For the next three laps I found myself rarely on the back of the group - more than likely 10 to 50 metres behind the group. I was slowly fading, and it was hurting.

Somehow I made it back on, and just stayed with the group. For the next 5 or 6 laps the peleton was in control, and in a very measured way chased down another breakaway of 2 who had gone alone for about 4 laps. Poor buggers.

By the time of the bell lap I was well recovered and feeling the strongest in the race. Amazing what recovery the body can do.

My second learning of today, is not to go around the final bends at the back end of the bunch which consists of about 15 people. I was pretty well out of the front of the sprint. Next time I will move to the front half.

Anyway I made it to the final bend after being sure I would be dropped in the first 4 laps, so was a good ride for me.

So, get on your bikes and get out to Heffron.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 27 Oct 2007, 22:37

Nice riding Geoff

imaxwell

Postby imaxwell » 28 Oct 2007, 11:30

Good to see you going so well Geoff. Reckon you'll be getting placed in C grade in no time at all.

Nearly got blown off the bike this morning in Adelaide. It was so feckin' windy. Took in Corkscrew at the end of the ride which nearly killed me!

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 28 Oct 2007, 21:24

great ride Geoff... and I'm sorry I've been so bloody lazy to race in c grade. I want to make the most of it while I've got my race license. Hope to be there next week!

Eugen Schilter

Postby Eugen Schilter » 30 Oct 2007, 11:30

Enjoyed your new C Grade experience and your report. Me too, the longer I race the more I treasure the mental aspect of it all. But when you have it all worked out you want to be fitter, and so it all spiralls. :P

Return to “Road”