Marrickville's own: early 1950s Alcone Road Special

A place for those keen on vintage and retro bikes - steel is real.
marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 07 Dec 2011, 08:48

Hi

In the last couple of weeks I was privileged to acquire a rather rare early 1950s Alcon road bicycle frame.

The Alcon name is significant to the Marrickville area. Alcon Cycle Works was set up at 312 Victoria Road (about 200m from the M'ville Cafe), Marrickville in about 1948 by Alvia Mervyn Connolly (1918-1974). He preferred to be called Bill.

Bill had been a former bike racer and by 1943 was building bikes. The name Alcon derives directly from his name, ALvia CONnolly. According to another DHBC member John, Mick Mazza was associated with Alcon and sold Alcon bikes. Apparently the business ended with the death of Bill in the early 1970s.

At the moment I only have a bare frame. Intend to build it up with period appropriate equipment.

This photo below is a little overexposed. The writing on the badge says: “Built by Alcon Cycle Works, Marrickville”.

Wow, 'choice of champions'. Watch out, might make me ride faster at the slowies!

Originally had an Osgear rear derailleur set up – it has Osgrear dropouts. Tried looking on ebay and they are extremely expensive. Looking at more affordable options.

Will post more pics as the restoration progresses

Regards
marc

Return to “Vintage Bicycles”