Heffron Park 24 Nov aka The Big H, The Park, FunLumps

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Huw

Postby Huw » 23 Nov 2007, 10:02

I was planning to back up and defend my title at Heffron this Sat arvo, albeit in a different grade. Is anyone else thinking of coming along?

FAswad

Postby FAswad » 23 Nov 2007, 11:17

I was planning to race tonight at Sutherland. I might do a two in a row. So i say its a possibility. Keep an eye out.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 23 Nov 2007, 13:41

I'm racing again this Saturday, I'll wave to you has you lap me.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 24 Nov 2007, 18:48

OK, forget the election, here's the real results.

Entrants;
B - Hue
C - Yours truely

I don't know about D and E, cos I got a flat on the way over and arrived too late.

Don't you hate it when someone takes a photo of you at the wrong time.

But what's this? Hue's in the money.

Huw's won B grade !!!!!!!!

Please congratulate Huw on his victory.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 24 Nov 2007, 19:14

Ok, what is Huw's true grade?!?

Congratulations!

Mike, how did your C race go?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 24 Nov 2007, 19:27

Mike, how did your C race go?
I was in the final sprint, but I had a cramp in the right calf, I was waiting for it to go away and I was actually in the lead, with Chris Green on my wheel. 3 riders overtook me and the cramp hadn't gone away so I pulled out of the sprint.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 24 Nov 2007, 19:28

I was in the final sprint, but I had a cramp in the right calf, I was waiting for it to go away and I was actually in the lead, with Chris Green on my wheel. 3 riders overtook me and the cramp hadn't gone away so I pulled out of the sprint.
Oh, sorry to hear that. But you were close!

Damian

Postby Damian » 25 Nov 2007, 18:38

Holy crap Huw, you're on fire!
You didn't visit any spanish doctors while you were in Europe did you ?

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 25 Nov 2007, 22:44

Mike, bad luck. With a bit more magnesium you will probably take C Grade out. Nice positioning of yourself there at the end.

Huw, welcome to B Grade, I mean Welcome to A Club Grade!

Awsome!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 25 Nov 2007, 22:48

Mike, bad luck. With a bit more magnesium you will probably take C Grade out. Nice positioning of yourself there at the end.

Huw, welcome to B Grade, I mean Welcome to A Club Grade!

Awsome!
Spot on Geoff, I haven't taken vitamin tablets for weeks. Having said that, m cardio is a bit off, strength is fine.

Look forward to you returning. BTW Lindsay is racing next weekend.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 26 Nov 2007, 11:23

Wow Huw, your kicking arse at the moment.... Must be all that track training.

Looking forward to racing again this weekend... if Lindsay is in then we should have a good turn out for c grade.

Huw

Postby Huw » 26 Nov 2007, 14:15

Thanks everyone! I surprised myself on Saturday. I have to say I wasn't expecting to be successful defending the title. I'd raced B-grade only a few times before and never finished. I decided I'd be happy just to finish with the bunch.

This time felt different. Getting ready and riding to Maroubra on Sat, I must admit I didn't really feel motivated. A bit blurry in the head, not as switched on as I'd like to have been. Went through the motions of signing on, warming up. Noticed very quickly that the wind was blowing the opposite direction to last week - today a tailwind through the pimples and headwind down the straight.

We rolled off in a sizeable bunch. Maybe 20-25? The pace was agreeably faster and more flowing than C-grade last week, when I felt like I was continually feathering the brakes in the bunch. After the first lap around, I was surprised to find myself in dead last place, but it's very easy to make up places in Heffron whenever the riders at the front are playing cat and mouse.

Lap two and a guy in a red shirt on a Hillbrick with silver Shamals came up behind and patted me on the back. I had no idea why. I was minding my own business, and sure enough it seemed friendly/neutral - not like he was about to launch an abuse torrent at me for cutting him off or anything. I was confused - I didn't know him from a bar of soap. What did he want? "Are you from Dulwich Hill?" I asked, knowing full well he wasn't. "Dulwich Hill!" he said; "I thought you had to be over 60 to be in that club". Hmmm. I was still confused. "Well I'm a sprightly 58!" I quipped, "I wonder why they let me in!?" OK, OK, it was the best I could do. I was confused, and I still don't know why he patted me on the back...

We were blasting through the pimples, 50 km/h and over, and as the race developed, a number of attacks were launched from here. But the bunch was hungry, and committed, so the attacks were reeled in. Around mid-point in the race, decided I felt strong and hit the gas for a fast lap at the front. It was interesting to see the bunch string out behind me, but I feared what might happen when I took a rest. If another attack went at that moment, I knew I'd be in for some pain in order to stay in touch. I let six or seven guys roll through then sat in the protection of the group. By the end of that lap, I was ready to go again.

The race didn't develop much in the last few laps, so I decided I was well up to the pace, and could even be in with a chance. Coming into the home straight is interesting business - the strong ones making their last efforts to position themselves through the tight turns at the top. I held my ground around 5th or 6th wheel, but did notice a big LACC rider muscling his way amongst the contenders. Last week I saw him finish second and made him then for a big finisher - serves me right for paying attention since I began feeling some doubt about how I'd get past him.

Into the home straight now, and the pace kicked. Five or six guys in front. Don't overreact - wait your turn and then fire. When it's time to jump, I try to make it big and really explode - hopefully puts some doubt in the minds of the others, and buys some valuable inches. But my frontman was slowing - I sensed a gap and switched to the big LACC guy, hopeful he'd drag me into a good position. He did. Then came the mark and I launched. No wonder those other riders were burning off - the wind up the straight felt tremendous. Grinding past the LACC guy now; nothing special about my finish - I was over my bike like a fish, my form out the window, but still thankfully making ground. I felt the flash of positive energy in my mind when you feel you can't be beaten to the line, and kicked across in first place.

WOOOT!!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 26 Nov 2007, 15:14

Lap two and a guy in a red shirt on a Hillbrick with silver Shamals came up behind and patted me on the back. I had no idea why. I was minding my own business, and sure enough it seemed friendly/neutral - not like he was about to launch an abuse torrent at me for cutting him off or anything. I was confused - I didn't know him from a bar of soap. What did he want? "Are you from Dulwich Hill?" I asked, knowing full well he wasn't. "Dulwich Hill!" he said; "I thought you had to be over 60 to be in that club". Hmmm. I was still confused. "Well I'm a sprightly 58!" I quipped, "I wonder why they let me in!?" OK, OK, it was the best I could do. I was confused, and I still don't know why he patted me on the back...
Clearly a team scout... You should have started your pro contract negotiation with your first sentence! Opportunity missed Huw! :D

mcrkennedy

Postby mcrkennedy » 26 Nov 2007, 16:55

Huw a great result. The bloke on the Hillbrick sounds like the people Fouad ran into in Sutherland who also had the view that you need to be considerably more senior to be a member of Dulwich Hill. It is either that or we all just age well! You are looking good for 58!!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 06 Dec 2007, 21:36

Finally the pictures are there

Huw

Postby Huw » 07 Dec 2007, 11:04

I couldn't resist adding this picture of the finish line.

Oh! The glory!

FAswad

Postby FAswad » 07 Dec 2007, 11:34

Hey Huw

Remember me?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 07 Dec 2007, 12:25

I couldn't resist adding this picture of the finish line.

Oh! The glory!

Didn't spot that one. If you won by that far, then they may bump you up to a grade.

Huw

Postby Huw » 07 Dec 2007, 13:04

Remember me?
Yeah, get in while you've got the chance - there's only $50 to go round.

Return to “Road”