West Head Akuna Bay race, May 11

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Matt T

Postby Matt T » 05 May 2014, 22:46

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyDHBC peeps are thinking of going in the MWCC's West Head race from Akuna Bay this Sunday

http://www.manlywarringahcc.org.au/even ... #more-1595

I've never done it before, so I think I might have a go at D grade - it would be nice to see some other red jerseys out oop north!

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 06 May 2014, 14:54

Too many hills and too fast as it's an open, not masters. Jo & I will be out at Eastern Creek racing D grade with Waratah Masters...

Matt T

Postby Matt T » 12 May 2014, 14:20

RACE REPORT

Well, West Head was ... an education. It was only about 28km, or an hour, of racing, but it felt like twice that.

I went in a small D-grade group. I managed to almost drop my bottle at the end of the neutralised climb, just before the start, and the subsequent faffing around meant I had to chase on as soon as things kicked off.

Once I rejoined I was going okay, seemed to be one of the stronger climbers … and then about a quarter of the way into the race I got dropped.

I tried to get back on, but never really got close. Spent the rest of the race riding solo between groups. (An old boy pushing 60 ended up out-foxing two school-age lads who both looked about 14 for the win)

Still, West Head is a lovely place to ride - beautiful scenery, great roads and zero traffic for the whole race - and now I have a new goal for next time. Hang on and don't get dropped!

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 12 May 2014, 18:31

I saw you Matt! You were standing at the finish line. I was riding past, not racing but out to West Head just as B Grade was finishing with DHBC rider, Tom Bolton in first place.

Matt T

Postby Matt T » 12 May 2014, 23:09

Oh, I didn't realise he was dhbc - he had a different jersey on. I would have cheered him on, he did a great sprint for the win!

kiwiames

Postby kiwiames » 31 May 2014, 17:58

Ok How on earth do you pre enter for this race? The website I followed from the initial post says the 'booking window as closed' ? . I know its very popular and will be no spots left to enter on the day.

Anyone that knows please let me know!

Cheers
Amy.

paul

Postby paul » 01 Jun 2014, 12:51

Hi Amy,

You enter from the MWCC home page.
They don't seem to have the entries open for next Sunday as yet.
Try again mid week.

Good luck on the day.

Paul

Matt T

Postby Matt T » 08 Jun 2014, 13:13

Hi Amy,

the next West Head race is on June 22.

http://www.manlywarringahcc.org.au/news ... #more-1641

It says that day licences are available (which is not usually the case), so that might be a good option for anyone interested in having a go without forking out for a gold licence.

I'm thinking of entering in D-grade again, with the goal of not getting dropped this time!

Return to “Road”