A bit of Fun at Mt Vic?

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Flynny

Postby Flynny » 31 May 2007, 19:39

Hey all just logged in here as the contact us from ont he home page keeps bouncing on me.

I'm involved with the
CTMBC and I was contacted the other day by the organising committee of the 175 anniversary celebration of opening of Mt Vic pass in the Blue Mountains.

Part of their plans was to have a Vintage car rally out along Darling causeway, down into Hartley vale and back up the pass but they also wanted to include walkers and more importantly bikes.

I was thinking it would be fitting to include historic bikes and as you guys are the home of Penny Farthing racing was wondering if anyone would like to lend a hand to get something organised.

The event is planned for mid October (20th?) They are discussing the posiblity of closing the highway for a short period with the main festivities stretching from The Imperial Hotel to Mitchels Ridge monument.

If anyone is keen to help out of partake reply here or PM me.

Cheers all [/url]

Flynny

Postby Flynny » 06 Jun 2007, 12:30

Anybody? Buller?

Damian

Postby Damian » 06 Jun 2007, 12:32

I don't think riding a penny up Mt Vic is anyones idea of a good time. :shock:

timyone

Postby timyone » 06 Jun 2007, 12:46

Allan is the one to ask about that, and he doesnt use this forum hey.
Umm remembering that there arent any breaks on these things hey!
I dont know if Allan is the one to call hey, his number must be around some where

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 06 Jun 2007, 15:28

There are 3 issues i can think of.

1. Transporting the bikes is difficult, so getting them there would be a problem.
2. Penny's aren't very safe to go downhill on unless you can see the bottom, because it's difficult to keep the speed under control and slow down for corners.
3. I don't know of anyone that would be able to ride a penny farthing up the pass, they're just not made for it.

We, generally only ride the Penny's once a year, when we go down to Tasmania for the national championships, otherwise they're really a bit dangerous.

Flynny

Postby Flynny » 10 Jun 2007, 13:24

I don't think riding a penny up Mt Vic is anyones idea of a good time. :shock:
And nobody is suggesting that the Penny's be used on the pass itself. Sorry for the confusion, the main cycle thing would go around with the cars but the idea for the historic bikes was to have something around the village itself which is where all the festivities would be anyway.

Can someone PM Allans number or pass mine on to him 02 63513171

Return to “Conversation”