what irritates you more...

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
jimmy

Postby jimmy » 06 Mar 2008, 06:41

That drivers cut you off/fail to give way because of maliciousness or through ignorance?

Last night I had a motorist make a right hand turn into a road where I was turning left (so I had right of way). I yelled at him and he didn't even seem to acknowledge me. When I caught up to him and banged on his passenger window and tried to berate him, he looked genuinely confused as to why I would be angry with him.

He obviously was unaware that he had done me any wrong.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 06 Mar 2008, 07:12

That happens even when you are driving. Of recent, it's so common to encounter the same when you are turning left from Erskine to Sussex St in the city. Vehicle coming in the opposite direction are so keen to join or jump you onto that narrow Sussex St.

Toff

Postby Toff » 06 Mar 2008, 09:23

This takes a bit of tact, but you have a chance if the driver is the ignorant type.

Best course of action would be to calmly explain to the driver that he just nearly killed you, and that you would ask that he take more time to consider cyclists before doing it again.

Getting a driver to realise he is wrong, and apologise for his mistake means he is likely to give way next time. The event and your efforts to talk to the driver will have made a difference and may potentially save a life or two in future.

If the guy was deliberately cutting you off, then there is no point wasting energy bothering to talk to him. Put that energy into getting in front of him at the next set of lights and watch him stew as you stay in front of him stuck in traffic. I also like to cheerfully wave him goodbye as I surge ahead of his gridlock.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 06 Mar 2008, 11:15

Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between those who are ignorant as to the requirements of other road users and those that don't give a you know what.

At a straight guess, in your case James, could this of being one of those persons who perceives bicycles as traveling at 10kph and therefor there was plenty of space?

We have all had many incidents and I can't say that I can point the finger at any particular segment of road users as being considerably worst than others. Though the type of incident is different.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 06 Mar 2008, 13:25

Certainly all types of drivers can be involved, but I am particularly weary of those vehicles driven by the elderly these days. Probably due to advancing age and weakness/slowness, they often don't see you and have a habit of flinging the driver's door open when parked.

williamd

Postby williamd » 07 Mar 2008, 11:30

The unwritten rule of the road is the biggest vehicle has the right of way. Trucks over cars and cars over motorcycles /bicycles.

I always ride as though I am invisible to other road users that way you can be prepared to avoid other road users mistakes.

I look at other road users as mosquitoes.If you squash one there are always a thousand more ready to give you grief.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 07 Mar 2008, 13:13

I look at other road users as mosquitoes.If you squash one there are always a thousand more ready to give you grief.
Interesting analogy. I always feel like the mosquito, on the verge of being squashed. :roll:

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 07 Mar 2008, 13:24

I've noticed that the bigger and tougher the rider, the less problems with other road vehicles you have.

A few years ago I followed a female rider between North Sydney and Chatswood and the number of cars that cut over her were a dam site more than I experience.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 07 Mar 2008, 13:35

I've noticed that the bigger and tougher the rider, the less problems with other road vehicles you have.

A few years ago I followed a female rider...
So, are you big and tough? BTW, why were you drafting her for that kind of distance? Shouldn't you have gone ahead and pulled her? :wink:

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 07 Mar 2008, 13:52

Compared to her I was.

I was riding with her and whenever she was ahead in the busy areas where single file was required I was a few bike lengths behind.

Over the years I have seen enough stuff to have formulated this opinion.

micklan

Postby micklan » 07 Mar 2008, 13:56

Drivers just don't see the flash of a cyclist, especially older drivers, we also sit higher than a car and I'd say we see more than them. Up the side or turning etc, eye contact and Er on side of caution. Owning the lane is a bold move as an individual rider, and indeed crucial at times. [[As a group on our training rides we do this and I think James? (Surly fixie) encourages all to do this along say Brighton Le Sands. So too gaps in the bunch encourage cars to attempt crazy manoeuvres]]. Have a nice day

williamd

Postby williamd » 07 Mar 2008, 20:42

At least riding around HP you don't have to worry about drivers.

Anyone in for HP tomorrow if it stops raining.

micklan

Postby micklan » 07 Mar 2008, 20:46

Hey William - Heffron should be next week for me - but hope to make the training ride this Sunday

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 07 Mar 2008, 21:10

You just have to worry about high speed stacks with fellow riders. :roll:

williamd

Postby williamd » 07 Mar 2008, 21:22

Its better than dogem cars.

Better the fool you know than the one you don't.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 11 Mar 2008, 08:17

I think that the reason motorists don't see us is a lot simpler. They are not observant enough.

As a cyclist, I think that I am pretty observant on the road, and I think that most of us are in general. Why? Because we know that we are in a hostile environment. Motorists are a lot more complacent as they have airbags, seat belts, crumple zones and a myriad of other safety features.

The other thing, is that there are too many distractions in a modern car. You have Radio, Satellite Navigation, Mobile Phones fancy dials etc. Whenever they are thinking about one of these, they aren't thinking about what is going on around them. And even worse, when they look at one of them, not only are they not thinking, they aren't looking either.

Quick Example. A few weeks ago at work, there was an accident in the car park, someone went through a Give Way sign, and was collected by someone going crossways to them. The sign has now been replaced by a Stop Sign. The first time I had to go through it, I saw it (I didn't stop, but at least I knew that it was there). I asked 3 drivers over the next few days about it, and none of them saw it. I think that that speaks volumes about how much motorists are aware of what is going on around them.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 11 Mar 2008, 09:00

To err is human...

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 16 Mar 2008, 13:25

I had a near major accident this morning on my way home.

I was riding along Stanmore Rd and approaching the intersection at Crystal/Shaw Street. I was doing about 30km/hr as I was pushing pretty hard.

I had a green light and suddenly, a female Red P-Plater decided to make a right hand turn in front of me. I hit the breaks pretty hard, and I just (as in less than 1cm) managed to avoid hitting the side of her car.

She seemed completely oblivious to me when I saw her. I didn't bother chasing and I pulled over for a few minutes to get my composure back.

I was pretty much poleaxed at how she thought there was enough space to make that turn.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 16 Mar 2008, 14:12

Glad that you invested wisely on those quality brake pads! :D

Well, stay safe, we still need you for those RNP rides.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 16 Mar 2008, 15:53

Close one James.

Some road users equate speed to size so;
Truck/Bus = 70kph
Car = 60kph
Motorbike = 50kph
Bicycle = 15kph

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 16 Mar 2008, 16:23

It was interesting to note this article in the paper today

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/cal ... 57863.html

It seems that young drivers (she was on her Red P's, so she may be under 18), are unable to handle the complexities of driving.

I mentioned the incident to the guys I play hockey with, and I basically stated the same thing, that she just thought that I was slow. I have said before, that a good driver, asses each vehicle, they look at the distance, and their speed and make a call based on that, not assumptions of bike=slow.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 16 Mar 2008, 17:38

Some road users equate speed to size so;
Truck/Bus = 70kph
Car = 60kph
Motorbike = 50kph
Bicycle = 15kph
Not speed, but momentum... And potential for impact damage.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 16 Mar 2008, 17:40

Clearly, she rides a slow bike hence the judgement. Maybe you could have handed her a flyer for our Sat Slowies. ;)

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 18 Mar 2008, 07:32

In relation to managing to pull the bike up. I often feel that stopping power is the most important factor of wheels.

I don't particularly care how well they allow you to descend, turn, or roll. All of these are secondary to getting you to stop. Stopping is the only thing that you don't always plan on.

I know that brake pads make a difference, but the wheels are also important (look at cars with different brake disks).

I have ridden a bike that I never felt stopped properly, I actually hated descending on it as I you had to be so cautious.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 18 Mar 2008, 07:59

On the question of braking characteristics of wheel rims. Does it really make a difference b/n different brands and models? Staying with standard alu alloy rims, are there significant differences to be found? I thought it's all about pads and calipers.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 18 Mar 2008, 08:17

I would say yes, the rims do make a difference.

On my commuter, I have been using the same type of brake pads for quite a while now, last year, I got a new front wheel, my stopping power did increase.

I don't know what is different between the rims, but the new one does work a lot better.

James

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 18 Mar 2008, 08:20

Could be that the brake surface is new

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 18 Mar 2008, 08:23

Could be that the brake surface is new
A distinct possibility.

Return to “Conversation”