Race Around Ireland

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
ratzzzzz

Postby ratzzzzz » 05 Jun 2017, 21:54

After the success of the Veloroos at Race Around America they're back at it and have signed up for the Race Around Ireland. The team is made up of JA (one of the original team) Di, Sarah Anne and Pippa who are new to the team. The race is a non stop 2,200 km race with 23,000m of climbing, a bit shorter than RAAM but the constant rolling hills, complicated navigation, wind and rain will make this just as tough a challenge.
I am heading over again as part of the crew and wanted to ask for some help from the forum.

We are still looking for crew - it will be a fantastic experience and although not a relaxing holiday, I'm back for more so it can't be that bad. If you are interested or know anyone that is get in touch. We are especially looking for physios/ masseuses and a bike mechanic.
We are always looking for fundraising and corporate sponsorship. If you have any leads or could help out in any way please get in touch. There is a document linked below that outlines the team, the race and the sponsorship opportunities. The girls got a massive amount of exposure during RAAM, they were on Channel 7, ABC and SBS breakfast shows, Cycling Central, ABC Radio, they have a large social media audience on all platforms, print articles in WITSUP, Ella cycling, Michelle Bridges, Bike Exchange, Women Who Cycle and everyones favourite podcast 'Out of the Saddle'. Their documentary about RAAM has been shown on Foxtel, SKY, Cycling Central, QANTAS and Air NZ inflight Entertainment - and we are planning on having the same documentary maker join us at RAI - I'm hoping my 15 seconds of fame this time doesn't involve me bogging a car!
Frustratingly the corporate sponsorship just doesn't seem to flow as freely for women so any help would be appreciated. Please slide it onto anyones desk that you think might be able to help.
Our charity partners are Amy Gillette Foundation and Tour De Cure.
https://cl.ly/kmLH

If you want anymore information, have questions or can offer your help in any way please get in touch with me or via the links below. I'm racing this weekend and then am hoping to get back to some social riding so will hopefully see you on the road soon.
Thanks
Ben
http://theveloroos.com
https://www.facebook.com/theveloroos/

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 06 Jun 2017, 09:19

Exciting! Hope it doesn't conflict with 'The Chase'.

ratzzzzz

Postby ratzzzzz » 25 Jul 2017, 07:30

Veloroos are hosting a fund raising event for Race around Ireland this Sunday. Details below.

Join the Veloroos for a bit of craic at the Gaelic Club in Sydney for their final fling before they head off to take on the Race Around Ireland.

There will be plenty of traditional live Irish music and folk songs from some of the talented Irish/ Australian musicians based in Sydney as well as some fantastic auction prizes!

Cost $25
Start 2pm -7pm
Book tickets by emailing sarahanne@karmeafitness.com.

Address: 1st Floor, 64 Devonshire Street, Surry Hills, NSW, Surry Hills New South Wales 2010

Kids are welcome.

About The Veloroos
The Veloroos are a team of non-professional female endurance cyclists, passionate about riding bikes and pushing the boundaries of what you can achieve if you let go of fears, take a step outside your comfort zone, and dedicate yourself to your goal. Each of the riders have full time jobs and do not do cycle as professional athletes, that’s one of the key differences to the Veloroos from other cycle teams. Each rider is committed to funding their place on the team which includes flights and race entry as well as all training costs prior to the race.

Alongside their training, the team are responsible for organising all the race logistic, race vehicles and communications, sourcing 12 volunteer crew, booking flights, accommodation and food, the creation and implementation of all the team marketing, social media and promotion, securing kit and equipment sponsors and organising fundraisers for our two chosen charities, Tour De Cure (riding to cure cancer) and the Amy Gillett Foundation (helping improve awareness and cycle safety).

About the Race Around Ireland
This 2,200 km race has 23,000m of climbing, complicated navigation & plenty of wind, rain and difficult conditions that make it one of the toughest endurance challenges in Europe. The Veloroos’ team of 4 will be the first team from Australia to enter this race aiming to win the female category.
Unlike other cycling races, the RAI is a non-stop race held on open roads. There are no marshals controlling traffic and there are no planned aid stations, rest stops, or stages. Once the clock starts, the team will race continuously, until they reach the finish line. Support crew form an essential part of our team, working to keep riders as safe as possible, and enable the team to sleep in the vans between shifts on the bike by driving and navigating, preparing food, fixing bikes and motivating the team to keep going when tiredness sets in.

Book your tickets by emailing sarahanne@karmeafitness.com

Return to “Conversation”