Development on Wilson Street (Eveleigh Carriage Workshops S

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 11 Jun 2008, 13:41

Hi All,

Some of you may not know but the Eveleigh Carriage Workshops Site on Wilson Street (Redfern/Newtown) is currently ear-marked for a major residential and commercial development. The development concept plan has proposed an additional 2000 car parking spaces on the site. WHile it is very realistic that the site needs carparking spaces, there is a concern on the effect this will have on Wilson Street which is an important low-trafficed street used by so many cyclists and the site has excellent public transport with Redfern Station next door. Public comments on the Concept Plan close tommorrow. If you are concerned about the effects this development may have on cycling please consider writing a quick submission to the Department of Planning (Urban Assessments).
You can send a letter in todays post or email: information@planning.nsw.gov.au
They have to be in by tommorrow (Thursday)

For more details see:
http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/asp/major_projects.asp

Proposal title: Redevelopment of Former Eveleigh Carriage Workshops Site - Concept Plan (MP 08_0015)
Description: The Redfern Waterloo Authority proposes a concept plan for the redevelopment of the former Eveleigh Carriage Workshops site, for a mix of residential, commercial, retail and cultural uses, including the retention and adaptive reuse of heritage buildings. The concept plan seeks approval for land uses, density, building locations and envelopes, building heights (4-16 storeys), car parking (approximately 1943 spaces), vehicular and pedestrian access from Wilson Street, internal roadways, open space and landscaping, staging and associated infrastructure
Location: Former Eveleigh Carriage Workshops site (Lot 4 and Part Lot 5 in DP 862514) Wilson Street, Eveleigh
Local government area: City of Sydney
Exhibition locations:
- Department of Planning, Information Centre, 23-33 Bridge Street, Sydney
- City of Sydney Council, Level 2, Town Hall House, 456 Kent Street, Sydney
- City of Sydney Council, Redfern Neighbourhood Service Centre, 158 Redfern Street, Redfern
Approval authority: Minister for Planning
Relevant legislation: The Director-General of the Department of Planning, under delegation from the Minister for Planning, has formed the opinion pursuant to clause 6 of State Environmental Planning Policy (Major Projects) 2005 that the project is development described in Schedule 3, Part 5, Clause 5, of the Policy, which states that development (with a capital investment value of more than $5 million) on land within the Redfern-Waterloo Authority Sites identified on map 3 to that schedule is development to which Part 3A of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 applies
Proponent:

Submission to: The Director, Urban Assessments, Department of Planning, GPO Box 39, Sydney NSW 2001
Start date: 1 May 2008
Closing date: 12 June 2008
Documents available:
Preliminary Assessment
Director-General's requirements for Environmental Assessment
The Environmental Assessment can be viewed online at http://www.redfernwaterloo.nsw.gov.au
Further inquiries: Sumathi Navaratnam on (02) 9228 6361
!

Toff

Postby Toff » 11 Jun 2008, 15:16

Good work Adrian.

I will be submitting something. This propasal, and the effect it will have on cycling in Redferm has been a bit of a secret since it flashed onto the news about 6 weeks ago. I've been looking for this info ever since, and I'm really glad you found it because I couldn't...

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 11 Jun 2008, 22:44

Thanks Chris,
Just send a quick email in. I got a return email today acknowledging the submission. I don't know how much difference it will make but its important to let them know that this is an important issue now rather that complain in one year when we've lost our counterflow lane on little everleigh st and the traffic is too heavy to safely turn onto Lawson st.

btw: I think I used to work with the planner assessing the concept plan and from memory she was a keen cyclist (so I'm hoping!).

Return to “Conversation”