Shimano groupset offer

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
weiyun

Postby weiyun » 19 Jun 2007, 16:53

Just received a message via LBUG that Cell Bikes is now running out on Shimano road groupsets at cost price to club members. I am not sure if this applies to all cycling clubs or just LBUG members, nor do I know how solid the prices are. Deadline is 30 June.

Dura Ace $1659
Ultegra $969
105 $769

There's a PDF form for this offer. Let me know if you want a copy by giving me your email address via PM or join LBUG. :)

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 19 Jun 2007, 19:55

Based on those prices, it sounds like Ultegra is the best value for money. Just my opinion

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 19 Jun 2007, 20:04

I actually didn't think about the prices when I posted. But I would agree with you. I am somewhat surprised with the cost base of DA groupset. That's a huge jump.

According to the brochure, the NRPs are as follows,

DA $2500
Ultegra $1599
105 $1250

Damian

Postby Damian » 19 Jun 2007, 20:56

PBK Have 105 for $579 and DA for $1246. I wonder if that's where Cell are buying ? :)

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 19 Jun 2007, 21:00

I read somewhere that 105 10 speed is a good step up from 105 9 speed

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 19 Jun 2007, 21:05

Good comparison Damian. I guess the difference for the consumer lies with the availability of warranty. I know that bikes don't have international warranty but not sure about components.

Not sure about 10 vs 9 speed comparison. Isn't it true that 9 speed chains are a lot more durable than 10 speed?

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 19 Jun 2007, 21:31

Warranty depends on the company really, and if you have an issue, you generally have to send it back to where you bought it. I sent some pedals back to the UK for warranty replacement, took a while but got sorted eventually.

You have to wonder about those NRP's, bikepro have dura-ace groupsets for $1899 normally, but generally you save a lot buying from overseas. Haven't found a cheaper place than probikekit yet, though on ebay you can generally get the same deal, or maybe i should make a trip to Japan.

Also, as you may have read, Ultegra SL comes out for 2008, dark grey annodised finish and a bit lighter than Ultegra. I have also heard that the Electric Dura-Ace groupset will be released for 2008, though it's one thing i believe won't be worth the change, maybe when technology has advanced far enough, but not now. In terms of a standard mechanical Dura-Ace upgrade, it's most likely to happen for 2009 from what i've read.

I myself am more interested in SRAM Red, though i'll be keeping some Dura-Ace bits, making it more a SRAmano build. Even Force and Rival are probably suitable enough.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 19 Jun 2007, 21:37

Haven't found a cheaper place than probikekit yet, though on ebay you can generally get the same deal, or maybe i should make a trip to Japan.
Really? EuroBikeParts.com had Campagnolo groupset at better prices than PBK and permitted custom selection as well as free shipping. As for getting a deal in Japan, forget it! There's nothing cheap in Japan.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 19 Jun 2007, 21:52

EuroBikeParts don't have Shimano groupsets. They may be cheaper for Campy, but i haven't really found anywhere cheaper for Shimano. As for Japan, i've seen some good prices for shimano stuff at online japanese shops, though i couldn't read much of it, so i didn't have a clue if they shipped out of Japan, and it was too much effort to find out.

Glenno

Postby Glenno » 20 Jun 2007, 19:33

I've been looking for people selling gear online in the US because the A$ is 20% higher than this time last year so accordingly those goods are 20% cheaper than they were last year.

The aud/gbp is only 10% up on last year and about the same for the aud/eur rate.

If anyone finds any US sites for cheap gear let me know.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 20 Jun 2007, 20:06

Eurobikeparts.com is US based.

BTW T-Bone, they now stock Shimano. DA 8 piece groupset is around USD1150. No ideas if that's a good price for Shimano or not and not sure if Dom (proprietor) also offers free shipping to Australia for Shimano groupsets. But I can certainly recommend his service. Fast and responsive and even shipped my groupset order in two boxes on separate days without charging me extra P&H.

Michael, I have bought some stuff from the US so far and would say that eBay is your best bet. Any of the shop front places will charge you an arm and a leg for P&H. The alternative is to mail order domestically and pick it up personally on a trip. But you'll need to make sure you don't get hit by state taxes ie. Don't buy from a store that's registered in the state of goods delivery.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 20 Jun 2007, 23:44

It's about standard price for the Dura-Ace, though probikekit is $100 cheaper. I also noticed probikekit have SRAM now, but unfortunately the prices aren't good enough for me. Rival is $921, but i saw a rival groupset go for $560 on ebay, so i'll probably be sticking to my ebay bargains a lot of the time.

Currently i'm searching for some reasonably light, not too expensive 28h hubs. I was considering tuning some shimano hubs with titanium axles, but i need to decide if that's going to be my best option.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 22 Jun 2007, 07:20

EuroBikeParts don't have Shimano groupsets. They may be cheaper for Campy, but i haven't really found anywhere cheaper for Shimano. As for Japan, i've seen some good prices for shimano stuff at online japanese shops, though i couldn't read much of it, so i didn't have a clue if they shipped out of Japan, and it was too much effort to find out.
If you really need anything translated, I can ask my brother.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 22 Jun 2007, 17:03

Thanks Michael. I think i'll be right for a while, as the only Shimano parts i can see myself needing in the near future are Dura-Ace 24h hubs, and i haven't completely decided on those yet. Otherwise most of the German shops have good prices, and there're the couple of UK ones that are good, plus a couple in italy (think that's most of them). It all depend on what i need as to where i go, and never forget ebay, you can get some real bargains ocasionally, though i have to restrain myself.

Return to “Conversation”