My Olmo Bike: advice please

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
FAswad

Postby FAswad » 19 Jun 2007, 17:55

Hi all

Here are the photos of an Olmo Scatto steel frame, which I put through a paint job.

http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa310/fouadaswad/

I bought it a complete bike with an 8-speed campanolo Chorus drivetrain.

I intend this bike as a trainer bike. What I'd like to get your opinion on is whether I should set this bike up as a fixed gear, or 8 speed. I am assuming that for a fixie, the extras that I will need are rear gears, a crank, a Hub and spokes for a rear wheel build up (I am assuming I can use my current rim).

What do the experts think?

The other question is, I forgot to treat the inside of the headtube with fish oil to prevent internal rust before the mechanic installed the headset. Is this a big deal and do I have to pull it appart and treat it, or is it not a bigie?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 19 Jun 2007, 18:14

Nice paint job you've done. For a second I thought the front fork has its tip snapped off, until I realised it was the thick carpet that ate it.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 19 Jun 2007, 21:44

The paint looks nice, where did you get it done? Not really sure about the red forks, but i'm sure they'll look better once the bike has been put together.

I probably need to treat my frame for rust prevention, i'll probably do it when i put the original forks back in, which means i either need a new headset with lower stack height (Rudelli Misura seems suitable) or a longer steerer attached to the forks. I also wouldn't mind repainting the frame, but as a commuter i should probably keep it as is until i have something else and can convert the frame back to training use.

Fixed gear conversion would only require a new rear wheel, new chain, and a cog. You can generally get the chainline close enough with the road cranks. I was lucky with the cranks and Bottom bracket i got from Lindsay (ex George parts) as the cranks are older campy and go further on the bottom bracket, giving a perfect chainline.

Return to “Conversation”