Tool Box Essentials

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 22 Jun 2007, 17:18

Trying to put together my toolbox, so i can find the tools i need when i need them, the question is what tools do you think i need?

I've got a reasonable idea, but i'm not sure how much i'll be able to fit in the case i'm getting, and i need to make some modifications to it so the tools that are going in fit well.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 22 Jun 2007, 18:16

Isn't it a question of what jobs you want to do yourself and the type of bike/components you need to service? Below are what I've found to be essential and useful based on my current needs.

Essential:
Repair stand
Chain tool
Cassette lockring tool
Chain whip
Cable cutter
BB Cup spanner
Chain cleaner
Allen key set
Torx-25
Tyre lever
Tube patch kit
Ritchey Torqkey (5Nm)
File
Wet and dry paper/sanding block

Useful:
Vernier caliper
Rubber mallet

For the future (if ever I get that far):
Wheel truing stand
Torque wrench
Crank puller and associated taper shaft BB installation tool

But I just have to add one more for you... A Standards Australia calibrated scale for your weight weenie needs! :wink:

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 22 Jun 2007, 23:22

I've pretty much got all that stuff already, except for the repair stand and truing stand. Currently just put the bike on the trainer for tuning, though a repair stand would be useful. Mainly want to focus on my portable toolbox first. The ritchey torqkey would be useful for touring, though i've got a nice torque wrench so it's not essential.

This is the type of thing i have in mind, http://www.pedros.com/product.aspx?productID=6450651 though some of the tools i won't need, and some i can't afford (like the ratcheting combo wrench set). Guess i'll have to work out my list, but i think i've got most of the stuff at the moment, and i can always upgrade to better stuff later.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 22 Jun 2007, 23:28

http://www.pedros.com/product.aspx?productID=6460210

This is a useful tool, probably one i should get, though a modified skewer has done the job in the past.

Return to “Conversation”