Conspiracy theory Cancellara won Roubaix on a "doped" bike

Road cycling & upcoming rides
simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 02 Jun 2010, 12:50

Toff

Postby Toff » 02 Jun 2010, 13:17

I'm surprised it's taken this long before someone has outed the practice. For the last couple of years I have thought that it's very possible to do. You have bikes that are so light that you can comfortably add the weight of a small electric motor and batteries and still have them come in just over the UCI weight limits. You also have bikes these days with huge diameter down tubes, with more than enough room to hide a motor hooked up to the bottom bracket, as well as lots of batteries.

I am sure it has been done some time in the last few years. Whether or not Fabian has done it is a different question though...

Toff

Postby Toff » 02 Jun 2010, 13:49

timyone

Postby timyone » 02 Jun 2010, 14:13

wow! i wouldnt be surprised if these have been used a lot! crazy! we should get some!!

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 02 Jun 2010, 14:17

we should get some!!
By we, I take it you mean the speed-deprived members of the club.
Just imagine it - we could suddenly have one bunch of 50 on Sundays, average speed 35km/h!
S.

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 02 Jun 2010, 16:15

OK, I'm in!

Toff

Postby Toff » 02 Jun 2010, 16:37

I wonder if that new electric bike shop - Gloworm bikes - in Marrickville will be selling those hidden motors?

Otherwise I have an old Bamix motor that I'm sure I could hook up to a few batteries, and hide it in my down tube.

Runs at around 600 rpm though. I'm not sure I can pedal that fast. :shock:

Might be good for touring though. Imagine getting off the bike after a hard day's ride, and putting your cranks into the tub to mix up a mango daiquiri or two. :mrgreen:

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Jun 2010, 17:05

When you see heat sinks and vent holes around the lower end of seat tubes, you should get suspicious.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 02 Jun 2010, 17:22

those motors are a bit out of our price range... around $3000!!

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 02 Jun 2010, 17:36

The more I look at this, the more I think this story is a colossal beat up.

Let's say the drive shaft on the motor is 1cm wide. How much torque could be imparted to the bottom bracket? I'm no engineer, but I am betting not much at all. Almost certainly not enough to make a serious speed difference. If it reduced overall effort for a few k's so a rider could save their legs, maybe it would make a difference but ...

... secondly, I'm aware of no batteries good enough to provide sustained speed. Look at the massive slabs Glow Worm rely on. Unless you packed every tube of the bike full of 'em, you'd have very little time of extra power, but the extra weight would kill you long before you got a chance to use a secret motor. Thinking back to my first point, I don't see how a small, light, battery would provide enough relief to save the legs.

Third, noise. Other riders would hear it and dob.

Having said that, I want one.

S.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 02 Jun 2010, 18:02

Personally, this is a load of crap. A professional rider would have too much at stake. If this is a risk, then the simple solution, is when the rider shows up at the finish line, the UCI confiscate the bike, and inspect it. If they are using it. Game Over.

Now, they say that the motor disconnects and provides no friction when not in use. Sorry, it will. So you either need to turn the motor, or at least drive something until it is slipped. That will provide friction.

Third, I agree with Simon, the weight of the batteries is going to be a factor, even a small battery is still reasonably heavy, and I don't think you're going to get enough juice.

Fourth. Have another look at the photos, there doesn't seem to be any extra wires. How does the signal get from the handlebars to the downtube? It is either very well hidden, or more likely, not there.

Fifth. Cancellara is a big rider who is well known for his ability to just power away from other riders, he has done it before. In the Tour of Flanders when he rides away from Boonan, well newsflash, Boonan isn't a climber. Who's surprised that Cancellara got away from him.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Jun 2010, 18:25

I too think it's journalist with too much time on their hands...

However, I can see how something like this can work and may be of assistance in a race. They don't need to be switched on all the time. They only need to be there to provide an addition boost (even just 30-50W) to the rider's natural ability eg. On a climb for a short period of time. As we know, all it takes is that little bit of extra in the tank to drop your opponents at key points on the course, then the win is assured.

But again, I think it's all BS to point finger at Cancellara.

Return to “Road”