Visitor from Ireland looking for Cycling advice in Sydney

Road cycling & upcoming rides
quigs

Postby quigs » 18 Oct 2007, 00:11

Hi there,

Will be on holiday in Australia for a few weeks in November, passing through Sydney for a few days on the weekend of Nov 3/4 and am thinking of trying to get out for a quick cycle if I can. I am a former leisure cyclist (doing events like Etape Du Tour etc.. that sort of thing), currently trying to convert to road racing and need to get some mileage in during my 3 week stay in Oz to limit my fitness losses. Hotels have been booked with gyms and maybe thats all I will do, but I would love to get out on the road if possible though, nothing too heavy maybe 100km at say 30+ kph.

Anyway, are there any training rides I could do in Sydney (I am staying in the centre of town somewhere) on the 3rd or 4th ? And is is possible to rent a roadbike over there ? Perhaps even a place that does bike tours ? If not then I will have to try to minimise my fitness losses in the gym I guess and maybe for my 10 day drive up the east coast I will just buy the cheapest lump of junk possible and ride that for a couple of hours before the missus gets out of bed every second day and hope that I don't land back in Ireland a million miles behind the rest of my clubmates !

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 18 Oct 2007, 01:41

Quigs,

Welcome to Oz,

If you search "sydney bicycle hire" you should be able to find a few places. One convenient spot is next to Centennial park which is a great cycling circuit of 4kms, only 4 kms out of the city and near to Coogee (which is 'little Ireland")

http://www.cyclehire.com.au/

I'm not sure of the quality, but you could enquire. I think you will find they are OK.

I've also got a second road bike I commute on during the week you are welcome to use if you come out on a ride, but you would have to meet at my house and return it after to ride. I'm in Dulwich Hill about 20 minutes drive/taxi or 25 mins train from city.

Its a 56 or 58 cm, and I'm 180cm tall. It has Look Kao pedals but you could bring your own if you have shoes which fit different model cleats.

Unlike Ireland which depart on rides at 9.30am, we depart in Sydney at about 6.30am on the weekends.

As per our website we have some good rides to and around centennial park on Saturday (saturday slowies) and a moderately hard ride for experienced roadies on Sunday out to Waterfall and back for 80kms doing about 30kms per hour.

Please feel free to join us.

On the weekend of 3/4th of Nov is one of our busiest weekends. 1/3 of the club will be doing a fixie ride from 100 'miles' south of Sydney and won't do the normal Waterfall ride.

Also, Sydney's biggest recreation ride takes place on the sunday from Sydney to Wollongong and is very scenic by the coast on the last half of the 80kms. We have a team of guys from our club, so you might want to join them, but there is an entry fee for this major event. You might want to communicate with some of our club members going on this on the following thread:

http://www.dhbc.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=237

I still might do our normal Waterfall ride that Sunday with other club members, but numbers could be down as we are stuck riding side by side with the Sydney to Gong riders for the first 40kms before returning. Will probably do a ride of some sort.

Let me know anyway - you will be welcome to join any of us.

What part are ye from. My partner is from Eniscorthy. I became a Paddy 2 years ago and am actually wearing my $10 Euro Dunnes Store special, Irish Unoffical Rugby Jersey as we speak. Didn't do you lot any good tho!

Did some riding with Slaney Cycle CLub for 5 weeks in Ireland and have their full jersey. I might have to get it out and wear it, if you ride with us!

You can contact me directly through the email function on membership function or by reply below.

timyone

Postby timyone » 18 Oct 2007, 16:50

have you thought track :D:D:D:D

quigs

Postby quigs » 19 Oct 2007, 02:04

Timyone, I have never been on a track in my life. Believe it or not we don't actually have one single indoor track in Ireland. I think there might be a subpar outdoor one about 100 miles from me though with very limited access. Would love to try it sometime.

Thanks Geoff ! That hire place looks good. Seems like they only open from 9am, so my choices would be to hire a bike on Friday or Saturday if I was to go on a club ride the following day. Or alternativley, just rent it in Centential Park on Sunday at 9am, do 20 - 25 laps and call it a day ! Is it a hilly or flat circuit ?

Sydney to Waterfall or Gong sounds great though, would love to do that. Your bike is probably too big for me, I usually ride a 54 (I am 5ft 7) but thanks for the offer, much appreciated. Sydney to Gong is 80k I take it, do you also ride back making it 160k, or do you bus it back to Sydney from there ? Would be really interested in having a bash at something like that...

The whole 6:30 thing will be a shock but I will be so jetlagged that no doubt I will be wide awake anyway ! I am from Waterford by the way, about 40 minutes drive from Enniscorthy. The Slaney club are great friends of my club (Comeragh Cycling Club, Waterford, www.comeraghcc.com), they turn up for all of our midweek summer league races, plus one of their riders rode on our squad for the FBD Insurance RAS this year (2.1 or 2.2 UCI ranked event, a week long stage race around Ireland). I'd be familiar with quite a few of their riders..

Those $10 Ireland shirts wouldn't fetch 10 cents now though ! The country was outraged by how bad the rugby team was... !

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 19 Oct 2007, 05:36

All the information on the annual Gong ride and our team are on the link below. You are welcome to join us. Weather permitting, some of us will ride back to Sydney. Otherwise the easiest is to catch an event specific train back.

http://register.gongride.org.au/?Dulwic ... cycle+Club

Toff

Postby Toff » 19 Oct 2007, 12:10

You can borrow my old Zullo if you want.

It's a 54 c-c.

It's got older 8 speed campy parts, but should be okay for ya. One day I plan to build it up as a replica of Phil Anderson's bike in his TVM days, but that's another story.

Chris.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 19 Oct 2007, 13:15

Good to see your jersey colours in the Eddie Tobin Memorial Race put on by Slaney CC which Robin Kelly (below) came third:

I went for about 5 rides with SCC and 2 pubs and one party. I know a lot of them well. Especially Pat Whitney, Liam Ruth and Sean Kavanagh. Sean kindly lent me his 2nd bike.

Others I know are the Bulters (I partied at their house), Willie Roche (can't understand a word he utters but he's better talking through his cadence!), Paul Nolan (I bought the jersey from him), etc. Say hi to these guys next time you see them.

There is an offer of a bike from toff if it fits. Also, getting the right fit from the rental place, and hiring it from the Friday to the Monday could work. They don't seem too expensive. You might want to check what sort of bike it is, and what you need to supplement.

You should join us on the Saturday and Sunday. Much better than riding by yourself like an Irish tourist. We could meet you on the Saturday at Centennial Park. ON the Sunday you could come to Waterfall with me, or go with the other guys such as Weiyun inviting you to join them on the Sydney to the GOng ride (entry fee applies). That's a highlight of the Sydney calendar and whilst a fun ride, covers a lot of ground and scenery.

Centennial park's main circuit is 4kms in length with flats and mild inclines, declines. There are several subsidiary roads which offer some good short hill climbing and uphill attacking practice and our club member Weiyun has enough technical information on this to boggle your mind.

http://www.dhbc.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=245

Lastly, I know some Waterford people so have been to Jeff's pub.

I had a ride on a boat with an interesting Welshman from Enniscorthy up the river as well into Waterford during the Tall Ships event 2 years ago. It was a pretty amazing day and night in the town and on the river!

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 19 Oct 2007, 13:28

Quigs....

This is the man Willie Roche who I could never understand a word he spoke. Do you know Willie? He's taking on your Robin Kelly. He's a very very good master rider from what I've seen of him.

Oh....there we go. Here's a shot of you riding right with Willie! See link below....

http://www.comeraghcc.com/ImageGallery/ ... ode=search
Last edited by geoff m on 19 Oct 2007, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 19 Oct 2007, 13:31

Sydney to Gong is 80k I take it
90k one way, so 180k return. The fast riders of the club will be leaving at 6am to avoid the bicycle congestion.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 19 Oct 2007, 22:43

David,

We've now got a shot of you.....

I think checking this out, our club has voted that you will be leading the climb through the Royal National Park....

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 19 Oct 2007, 23:00

quigs

Postby quigs » 20 Oct 2007, 09:54

Ha, you got me... That was the first climb of the 2006 Etape at a point about 90k in, the spring was well and truly gone out of my step a further 100+km and several hours later after the not very steep but into a head wind Col Du Lauteret followed by the horrific Alpe D'Huez. Theres another picture there on the Alpe D'Huez somewhere and the best representation of my climbing skills is as follows http://www.comeraghcc.com/ImageGallery/ ... mage_id=16 , plus plenty more far too gruesome to put up on the site ! Sadly, I cannot climb to save my life, I assure you I went up all those hills like I was up to my axles in quick sand. I was hoping to do Alpe D'Huez in an hour, ended up being more like 1hr 42, walking pace... I had probably underestimated the 178km leading up to the start of the Alpe, not to mention the temperatures being double that of Ireland !

I might go back next year and have a crack at it again...

Toff, thanks for the offer, I might just take you up on that... (what kind of pedals are on it ?)

Geoff thats a good shot of Robin (Our jersey is very distinctive, so much so that the guys want to change it !) in the Eddie Tobin, on the day there was nothing he could do, the winner (who rode the Tour of Ireland in the company of the likes of TMobile and CSC the following month was just on fire on the day). Shame, the year before Robin was cruising to certain victory and crashed on the last bend, still came sixth, but what a dissappointment for him. Meeting him for a spin in the morning (thats 9am rather than 6am over here !) he will be thrilled to know that his exploits can be seen from 10,000 miles away.

I'll say hi to all the Slaney guys, they host a race in december, a one off christmas thing that I will be up for, I wasn't up to much this year from a racing perspective, hoping to change that next year, so most of them would probably know me better as the web admin for the Comeragh club, Liam Ruth and I would occasionally email each other both being admins for our clubs. I rode along with Willie in a few of our local midweek races. Hes a tough man, and he has quite the wexford accent too ! Nice guy though, that shot you found of me and him together was taken on whats locally known as Church Hill, ironically enough, its right there passing the graveyard that most would be contenders meet their untimely end for the night ! it seperates the men from the boys in our local races and I was sadly a boy far too often on it. That particular night Willie probably showed me a clean pair of heels because I recall expiring shortly after that pic was taken.

You were lucky to be in Waterford for the tall ships (I think they are coming back in 4 years time). You would have seen it at its best, great atmosphere that weekend. Geoffs bar is the local haunt for me, live about 1 mile away near the bridge in Waterford, in fact thats where the missus is now with her old friends from college, I am sitting up late her waiting for the call to go collect her.. If I wasn't out for a spin in the morning I'd be down there hammering back the beers, but instead I am trying to build up brownie points for when I tell her that I want to go cycling in Sydney, she'll kill me. Apparently she wants to go to the Blue Mountains on the saturday, or something like that. I will see nonetheless if I can get out both days, definitely I'd like to get at least one.

I'll have to consult the boss on what days I can do so. I like the sound of Sydney to Gong, but if it uses up the majority of the day I might be in trouble with herself, so maybe a trip to Waterfall would be better. Will check it out. Centennial park sounds great too, Weiyun's got some great info there, I have a computer which does similar, a Polar CS400 but its nowhere near as good, that being said, I haven't a clue how to use it.

Anyway thanks for all the info and help guys. You seem to be a very big club.. over here the clubs tend to be quite small (ours only has about 30 members, Slaney I would imagine is similar)

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 20 Oct 2007, 22:04

David,

What are your plans/dates in Sydney?

Weekends are very busy in the Blue Mountains. If you are driving up, the traffic can be a bit heavy coming back. They are worth going to however.

Tell your partner she can shop her heart out at Paddington Markets (Saturday) or at Bondi Junction (anytime). While she takes the decoy, you go riding. .... Simple.....

Our Club is Sydney's oldest continuous club. We aren't that big - probably about 50 of us. It seems big because we have nothing better to do than all chat to each other on this site!!

imaxwell

Postby imaxwell » 21 Oct 2007, 17:13

Hello Quigs,

You should catch up with the lads as they are probably the nicest bunch of lads you will come across. I'm from Drogheda meself, and was a member of DHBC in 2005, before moving to Adelaide. As well as Geoff the Irishman we also had another lad Sheamus, who's Dad is Irish, and is now living in Dublin. So they'll be used to your accent!

If you're down Adelaide way I'd be only too happy to bring you round the roads for a spin. Don't have a spare bike though, unfortunately.

BTW Geoff, you can get rid of that rugby jersey. We were absolute shite.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 21 Oct 2007, 22:03

BTW Geoff, you can get rid of that rugby jersey. We were absolute shite.
Ian, Good to hear from you. Hope all is well. Any more news!?!?

Therese is going back to night duty in Xavier working for Bernadette. Its a bit of a long story so I will fill you in one day.

I've also got some Wallaby jersey's I picked up for $12.50 at Stanley Markets in Hong Kong. Can I burn these as well with the green one?

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 21 Oct 2007, 22:15

There is an offer of a bike from toff if it fits. Also, getting the right fit from the rental place, and hiring it from the Friday to the Monday could work. They don't seem too expensive. You might want to check what sort of bike it is, and what you need to supplement.
David (Quigs), there are 2 reasons why we start our rides at 6.30 am in Sydney. One is to avoid traffic. The other is the heat. Today was 31 degrees in the middle of the day, so it was about 26 degrees when we finished up at 9.30! Not too bad at 6.30 am however!

So after the ride today, I took the family to Clovely Beach and drove right past Centennial Park and Centinnial Parklands Cycle Hire. So I pulled up and went in to check it out.

http://www.cyclehire.com.au

The road bikes are Sora/Tiagra and without clip on pedals - just the standard pedals. You would need to bring your shoes and pedals.

Unfortunately they are completely cleaned out for the weekend of the 4th November due to the Sydney to the Gong ride. So that won't be an option for you. They have hire at other times however. Looks like you should liaise with Toff.

quigs

Postby quigs » 21 Oct 2007, 23:24

Thanks Geoff, thanks Ian.

Looks like I will need to beg for Toffs bike so. Not sure of the itinerary for Sydney, its Melbourne for 4 days, so I think I arrive in Sydney on Thursday afternoon and fly out Monday to somewhere called Hervey Bay. Herself has the blue mountains pencilled in for Saturday, I think its some sort of bus tour, not sure, but I don't think its booked yet either, if its better to do that on Friday then maybe thats what we should do. Ideally I would love to do the ride in Centennial park on Saturday and head to Waterfall with Geoff on Sunday. Gong would have been great, but in reality we have so little time in Sydney, I might end up divorced if I take the guts of one full day out for cycling !

I will confirm if I can get the blue mountains moved (not literally !). And should know where I am after that. That heat sounds terrifying by the way. I think it was about 12 degrees here this morning when I set out, it might have topped 14 on the way home !

Toff

Postby Toff » 22 Oct 2007, 00:02

Quigs, The Zullo has no pedals on at at the moment, but I use older look pedals on all my road bikes. I would suggest packing your own pedals.

I've never done the Waterfall ride either, so maybe we can both have a crack together!

quigs

Postby quigs » 22 Oct 2007, 00:09

Thanks Toff, sounds good. You are a star. I am using Look Keo's but I do have older Look cleats too. If you have spare looks, great, otherwise I'll bring the Keo's. I probably won't have space to pack a helmet though, is that compulsory for your club rides ? I never leave home without one myself, I guess I can get some cheapo in a supermarket the night before maybe ?

Looks like I might be able to go Saturday and Sunday morning and leave the Blue Mountains till Monday (got my dates wrong, arriving Friday, leaving Tuesday), so I guess I might have to meet you if thats possible the Friday to get the bike ? Let me know what works for you. Is it an old steel bike ? In which case... does the seatpost still move ? Had to try move a seatpost on a Dolan a while ago and it required, penetrating oil, 3 men and a bench vice ! (plus a heat gun)

By the way, I am staying in the Radisson, Liverpool Street, but I have no idea how far that is to Centennial park. Doesn't look too bad on the map.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 22 Oct 2007, 09:14

1) Helmet is compulsory here in Australia. So yes, bring your helmet.

2) Radisson is very close to Centennial Park. As a matter of fact, I ride past it when I ride over to Centennial on Sat morning. You just have to turn 2 traffic light turns to get there. If I am riding on that morning, likely, I'd be happy to pick you up.

Toff

Postby Toff » 22 Oct 2007, 15:33

I've got a spare MET helmet too, so don't worry about packing one, unless you have a really freakishly large head. The bike currently has one of those Corrima carbon seatposts in it - Looks triangular from the side and invisible from behind. I'll probably swap it for an old Chorus one that I have spare because the Corrima is too hard to adjust. Cranks are 172.5.

Chris

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 22 Oct 2007, 18:03

I've got a spare helmet you can use if you need another option. I'd suggest bringing your pedals would be best, so you don't have to go through the hassle of positioning the cleats.

For the sunday, i think we should take you for the monthly (almost fortnightly now) ride through the Royal National Park for a bit of variety, and less traffic. It adds a few hills, but nothing too serious. We can put it to a vote for those left on the regular ride.

imaxwell

Postby imaxwell » 22 Oct 2007, 19:03

Ian, Good to hear from you. Hope all is well. Any more news!?!?

Therese is going back to night duty in Xavier working for Bernadette. Its a bit of a long story so I will fill you in one day.

I've also got some Wallaby jersey's I picked up for $12.50 at Stanley Markets in Hong Kong. Can I burn these as well with the green one?
No news yet Geoff. Less than two weeks to go until the new arrival. Say g'day to Therese, Ryan and Sinead for me.

Oh btw you can use the Wallabies one to burn the Irish one !!

quigs

Postby quigs » 23 Oct 2007, 00:55

Thanks Toff, think I'll take the helmet and the bike so, the less I have to carry to Australia the better (have a tight 20kg limit and a girlfriend who doesn't understand this and who thinks that my suitcase, is "our" suitcase. Her's is still her's of course !). The size should be fine, I usually ride 170mm cranks, but always wondered if the longer ones would make a difference, guess I will get to find out, so its all good !

All thats left is for you and I to meet up the night before or that morning, when/where suits you ?

Weiyun, looking at the maps it seems that Centennial is a pretty straight shot down liverpool and onto Oxford street.. ? T-Bone, wherever you want to go is good by me, hills are a weakness of mine comparitive to my training partners, so I'll be more than happy with a hilly route to get some practice in. Its winter training for me, so slow grinds up steep descents are just what the doctor ordered ! So long as I remember my way home if I get dropped !

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 23 Oct 2007, 05:45

Yes, Centennial Park is just down Oxford St. A Right hand turn down Flinders St and down Anzac Pde is the smarter route.

quigs

Postby quigs » 25 Oct 2007, 19:26

Hi there, am flying out on Saturday, so Toff, if you are reading this can you give me a few details of how we can meet up ? Thanks a million.

Toff

Postby Toff » 25 Oct 2007, 23:21

Hi Quigs. I will have to go to work sometime on Friday, but I'm flexible, so you can view the bike and set it up either early in the day or in the evening.

If you go to my profile, you will see my mobile phone number, and e-mail. Either send me an e-mail or call me on Thursday when you're in.

I would recommend you bring your own pedals. I've found my spare set of Looks, but they have started creaking: you'll go insane if you use them!

Chris.

quigs

Postby quigs » 26 Oct 2007, 01:58

Hi Chris,

Sounds good, creaky looks are kind of a thing with me, thats why I got rid of my old 5.1's, drove me mental ! I will bring my cheapo Keo's from the training bike so. I'm not sure what time I get to Sydney on the Friday, probably mid afternoon, will check with the boss. So it might be the evening. Thanks for this. I am not sure if I will have email. I am bringing a highly unreliable micro laptop, so if the hotel has broadband I should be set and will drop you a mail, otherwise, I will give you a call Thursday, thanks !

David.

Toff

Postby Toff » 26 Oct 2007, 18:24

Sorry, I meant e-mail me before you leave, to work out a time that suits your itinery, OR call me when you are in Sydney. I'm sure that we can work out details without cluttering forum space...

Return to “Road”