Race Report Heffron Park 21st April

Road cycling & upcoming rides
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 22 Apr 2012, 23:51

I don't think I raced at all since Ken Dinnervall last year but returned to Heffron about 3 weeks ago, then a Handicap at Nowra last Sunday, and Heffron Park this Saturday again.

3 weeks ago it was about 4 middle aged men and about 5 teenagers who attacked and attacked and attacked which gave me the s..ts so I kept realing them in, only to by swamped by the same youngsters in the sprint to come 4th. So I thought I might need to attack this time.

This time it was a small group of 2 middle aged guys, and 4 teenagers. Wind was blowing pretty hard, but nothing unique. Not as much attacking from the youngers this time, but they did try. We lost one person through early attacks. One young rider Brynn from RBCC looked the strongest of the others. About lap 5 I attacked pretty well, but Brynn brought the group back to me after 3/4 a lap. Next lap he was off again, and I thought the two of us could break the others, so caught him and then encouraged him to jump on which he did. We worked togetehr well for the next six laps putting in about 400 metres gap and had no chance of attacking each other as we seemed dead even in strength. It would come down to the sprint.

I knew I had to be on his wheel down the straight, so attacked before the netball courts, and sure enough he chased me down, and took over me, and so I just snuck in behind him just as we came into the last straight. He then caught on to my little trick and slowed right down. We cruised beside each other, like on a veledrome - no one behind, and no one ahead.

He then took off, and so did I. I was right beside him but a wheel length disadvantage. Slowly I closed the gap, and with 10 metres to go, had to put in a final effort, and caught him on the line. It seemded we were a dead heat. Neither of us could work out who won, nor could Joanne or John Buckton, so a dead heat was called. It was actually the right result, as we both worked together for six laps, and neither of us had any advantage over each other. A nice shared win!

And Bucko was pretty generous with the winnings given the small starting list.

http://www.randwickbotanycc.com/Results ... l_2012.htm

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 22 Apr 2012, 23:58

Well done. Good result.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 23 Apr 2012, 06:04

Great work Geoff and how cool is that to get a dead heat after all that effort.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 23 Apr 2012, 11:47

Great riding Geoff !!!!!!

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 23 Apr 2012, 12:39

Good one Geoff. Congrats!
marc

bart

Postby bart » 23 Apr 2012, 17:50

Very exciting Geoff!!

I'll be back there soon.....

Return to “Road”