Bike case for international travel

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Jun 2008, 12:31

Anyone have wise words on the variety of packing options out there for international bike travel? Hard cases are typically expensive but offers the best dependability. Soft padded are good for alloy frames but could be Achilles' heel for CF. Card board boxes are cheap but are harder to pack.

Any suggestions and sources for these based on personal experiences? Thanks.

williamd

Postby williamd » 02 Jun 2008, 12:47

I have a bike box with handles. I haven't used it yet.
It looks very strong.

Weiyun you are welcome to try it out.

Toff

Postby Toff » 02 Jun 2008, 12:51

Soft bags are often frowned upon at the airport, and you may be refused at check-in.

Hard cases are great, but often impractical, as you need to lug the box everywhere.

Cardboard box is probably your best bet. Buy lots of bubble wrap, and a couple of spare sheets of cardboard to put between the wheels and the frame. Also, buy a couple of rolls of brown plastic packing tape, and wrap as much of the box up with the tape as possible. This prevents your box getting a puncture or tear, and will make the box almost as good as a hard case.

Incedentally, I once travelled to and from Darwin with my bike, and did not use a box at all. I just took the front wheel off, and used some rope to tie the front wheel next to the back one, and stop the cranks turning. The bike came through fine without even a scratch, because the handlers could see exactly what it was, and therefore knew how to pack it safely.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 02 Jun 2008, 13:33

Weiyun

I have a bigfoot case

http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/product ... 144&page=1

The top two photos on this page show it in use

http://www.jamescheetham.net/DayReport. ... 2006&Day=0

You are welcome to borrow it if you want.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Jun 2008, 14:28

Thanks guys for the offers and ideas.

Bill, which case did you get? And why?

Chris, the cardboard option was entertained but for my place of travel, it'll probably be more trouble to try to find a replacement cardboard box and carry out the re-packing prior to departure. I think they are also somewhat larger in external dimensions than a hard or soft case and may be an issue for the trip back to the airport. But I am still thinking.

James, didn't realize that you have the Bigfoot case. I note that they are local and is a new kid on the block. Did you get it online or direct? I've been interested in their models for a while. Any problems with it in your experience? Are you concerned with the way the wheels are packed? Would the wheels or the frame get damaged if compressed from the outside? I read that they have removable roller wheels, how did you find them? Based on my experiences, external wheels are typically the first item to get damaged by airline transport. Also, what's your bike's frame size? Just trying to get an idea of the amount of free space in that case.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 02 Jun 2008, 14:59

I always go the cardboard box which I buy from the airport for $15, they are plenty big enough & I'm usually pushing 23kg to 24kg. The problem with the cardboard boxes is they weigh 4kg on their own before you put anything in them & that's taken 20% of your baggage allowance.

I once had a soft one that I used until I was waiting at the baggage collection & out came 1 wheel, then a pannier, then another wheel, then my bag split open.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Jun 2008, 15:14

Thanks Lindsay. The 4kg cardboard box is actually a plus compared with soft or hard cases. I note that padded soft bags are typically around 7kg and hard cases are anything from 10 to 13kg.

I am not too concerned about weight as bikes are typically considered to be sporting equipment and are either contained within one's luggage allowance (by weight) or depending on the airline, charged a fixed carriage fee. I think Qantas is still happy to transport one bike for free as a sporting equipment. If the airline is weight conscious, then I have an extra 10kg weight allowance on Star Alliance airlines. :)

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 02 Jun 2008, 16:47

Weiyun

I haven't had any issues with transporting my bike in the box. I have frame spacers for the front forks and the rear triangle. As per the photos I have foam tubing to wrap around the frame and a sheet of foam to lay over the frame that the wheels then sit on.

I have flown with the box several times, and it has been used by two other people who have gone overseas with no issues. The wheels are pretty solid and so they have survived so far.

The box is heavy though, when I have loaded it up with a bike, expect it to weight close to 20kg or maybe over.

As far as baggage goes, every airline is different. Whenever I fly domestic I will only fly Virgin or Qantas. Jetstar is a joke with a bike box. Virgin consider your bike to weigh 5kg, no matter what it tips the scales at. So you are given 20kg in total, and with a bike box, that drops to 15kg. I think that Qantas are different. Jetstar weigh your bike box, and then take that total out of your luggage.

I bought my bike box though Phantom Cycles directly, they are down in Tahmoor, so not too far from Sydney. The bike in those pictures was a 56cm frame, the Cervelo is 54cm and it fits just as well. You only need to take off the wheels and pedals, and the skewers out of them, there is bag to carry them. The handle bars get taken off at the stem and it all fits really nicely.

James

williamd

Postby williamd » 02 Jun 2008, 17:49

Weiyun

I bought the box from ebay. The seller was in Sydney so I could collect it,the price was reasonable and the box is made in Germany so the quality is good.

The box has some handles which fold away into a zippered compartment.

If I put some wheels and handle bars on the box I could probably ride it.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 02 Jun 2008, 18:55

If I put some wheels and handle bars on the box I could probably ride it.
You mean one of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1UdayeFaLo

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Jun 2008, 20:44

Thanks again guys.

James, your Bigfoot model sounded good. I might drop over to Brookvale and have a closer look in their showroom. Apparently they also have a cheaper model that's more squarish looking and not made of ABS plastic.

Good to know about Jetstar's policy on bike carriage. I'll be using Air NZ for this trip with my bike. They supposedly will give the passenger a flat extra 10kg allowance for the bike and extra charges are only made if your total luggage weight goes beyond the allowance. So with my Star Alliance status, the economy ticket would give me a total of 40kg in luggage allowance. It'll be plenty.

Bill, I think I know the one you have then. It's a real suitcase design, right? The only thing I am concerned about there is that the alu frame may deform after a trip or two. Well, it has happened to every one of our old suitcases of that design.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 02 Jun 2008, 21:16

Lindsay's on the money.

You could just purchase a bike locally and abandon it at the airport on the way back.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Jun 2008, 22:32

You could just purchase a bike locally and abandon it at the airport on the way back.
No joke. I have ridden some semi-long distance rides on a similar bike, in -5 deg C blustery conditions. There's an incentive to ride harder to keep the circulation going.

williamd

Postby williamd » 02 Jun 2008, 23:12

Weiyun

The box is made of plastic material and has a nylon material cover.
It has the shape of a cardboard box that bicycle come from the factory.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 03 Jun 2008, 08:16

Weiyun

In the pictures of my box, there is an extra sheet of foam which I purchased extra, as well as the foam tubing.

James

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 05 Jun 2008, 09:08

Weiyun

I have no experience with this case, but I got an email from PBK with it as a special offer

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=B1086

They state that they will ship it for $80. That makes it a pretty good deal.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 05 Jun 2008, 09:59

Thanks James. Mike also kindly emailed me about it. The general shape of this case seemed to be a copy of Scicon's but the casing material is molded EVA (ie. Semi-rigid), so it won't be in the same league as a real hard case made of ABS. At the present time, I think that Bigfoot case is pretty good in terms of quality without going over a grand.

Return to “Conversation”