DHBC lands in Beijing Olympics

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Sep 2008, 11:11

Finally got back from Beijing on Sun and as promised, DHBC has landed in Tiananmen Square! :D

View towards the centre of Tiananmen Square.

In front of Tiananmen gate.

We arrived in Beijing around half way into the Olympics and I took my bike along. I mostly rode early in the mornings and it was a blast to ride the ultra-wide divided bike lanes. The flat city and its smooth and potholes/debries free road surfaces easily raised my cruising speed up a few clicks. My longest ride (130km return) for the trip was out to the west of the city on a training route that's used by the local cyclists as well as the national cycling team called MiaoFengShan, which is a 1291m mountain peak with a realistic climb of around 750-800m over 15km. It was a struggle towards the top but I suspect my lack of training volume prior to the trip was what killed my legs. The return was more of a struggle that was made worse by the midday weather conditions. Plenty of water was required. But again, no worse than what we have to endure during mid-summer here in Sydney.

Below are five photos from my Miaofengshan ride.

The entrance to the mountain valley section.

En-route to the top as a local roadie zoomed past.

Looking back from the top.

Photo with that local roadie (a uni student) who zoomed past me.

Looking back at the valley. Beijing city is to the left of that view, behind the mountain peak.

And here's an aerial shot of Beijing from the east as our plane descended for PEK. The Forbidden Palace is in the centre of that north-south strip of green to the west of the highrises.

As for the cycling conditions within the city. Here are two photos of the bike lane along the main east-west ChangAn St. Both taken in the early morning hours. The locals have in recent years taken up electric bikes and there are quite a number of these silent two-wheelers sharing the bike lanes. They cruise at around 28-30km/h and can be easily overtaken on a road bike. However, on a windy day, they are good to draft behind.

This is right in front of Tiananmen.

This is a view towards Tiananmen from the west.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 02 Sep 2008, 13:23

Nice pictures Weiyun. Looks stunning riding thru the mountains and that's got to be the best bike lanes on the planet.

micklan

Postby micklan » 02 Sep 2008, 14:37

My that DHBC jersey certainly gets around...

G8 photos - just like rnp

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Sep 2008, 14:48

I had intended to take our jersey but was also reinforced by request from our Presidente. Micklan, you'll need to take your along to S/E Asia next.

That Miaofengshan climb isn't quite like RNP in that the grade barely hit 9-10% at worst, but its unrelenting. There was just no rest for the full 15km. I didn't do well at all, especially towards the peak. But it's not bad as the start of my "spring training" back home. :)

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Sep 2008, 14:54

Here are four photos from the Women's MTB race that I attended. Spitz of GER was way too strong but was also assisted by a peloton crash at the start that gapped quite a number of favourites. The delay of the start by one day was wise as the rain would have made the track extremely muddy. With the delay, the ground was firmer of clay consistency on the day. But some of those technical climbs and descents looked absolutely impossible from my point of view. Otherwise, it was hot and humid just standing around as a spectator and I really felt for the riders. Based on what I saw on the big screen and mud on some of the riders, it was a hard day out with quite a number of crashes on the technical course. The softened ground probably also helped to minimize the injuries as I didn't see any bloody wounds on any of the fallen riders. I vocally supported our lone Aussie star, Dellys Starr, every time she went by but I wasn't sure if my "Go Aussie" yell helped. She got lapped. :(

Germany's Spitz approaching the finish.

She was so happy that she still had the energy to lift her bike at the finish line. Now I understand the selling point of CF components! :wink:

Poland's Wloszczowska received silver.

And the winners lining up for the medal's ceremony. Bronze was taken by Russian, Kalentyeva, standing in front of Spitz. I understand that she won gold at the UCI MTB World Cup just this past weekend in Canberra.

timyone

Postby timyone » 02 Sep 2008, 22:01

wheres the wall!!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Sep 2008, 22:13

wheres the wall!!
The WALL is to the north of the city. I didn't go in that direction during this visit. Riding out to the wall will have to wait till next time.

Return to “Conversation”