Helmet fit issue

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
weiyun

Postby weiyun » 30 Oct 2008, 16:08

MichaelL raised an issue with his MET helmet at BoBos on Sunday in that despite various adjustments to the straps and rear snugger, it was easy to flip it and expose the forehead. I went home and tested my MET helmet and the same issue was noted. MichaelC's also has the same problem.

Looking at helmet fitting write-ups on the net, prevention of frontal flip is the first step in helmet fitting. And this is obvious as one would hope that the helmet would stay in place to protect the forehead during frontal impact. So based on our survey of n=3, there may be an issue with MET's basic design.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 30 Oct 2008, 16:15

btw: Eugene's son is doing some research on helmets. He is wanting to interview people who've had helmet related crashes.

You can contact him if your interested in taking part in the study.

Edgar Schilter
Research Assistant
School of Risk and Safety Science
9385 9824
0403 879 488
edgar.s@unsw.edu.au
www.srss.unsw.edu.au/research/helmetstudy.html

micklan

Postby micklan » 30 Oct 2008, 20:48

I tried a few helmets at City Bike depot today - they had this front of helmet backward tilt to varying degrees. Moreover, a lower rear strap does hold the bone dome more tightly in place...The stack I had at Dunc Grey was a front first jobie where I broke the fall with my hands straight out (as I went down the track), searching for mother earth, then tumbled/rolled and ended up hitting the rear of the helmet hard on the ground, that Met I had did stay in place and cradled the rear of the head = it did its job very well, and was not displaced. A very reassuring barrier between noggen and concrete !
Last edited by micklan on 31 Oct 2008, 05:25, edited 1 time in total.

timyone

Postby timyone » 30 Oct 2008, 21:48

btw: Eugene's son is doing some research on helmets. He is wanting to interview people who've had helmet related crashes.

You can contact him if your interested in taking part in the study.

Edgar Schilter
Research Assistant
School of Risk and Safety Science
9385 9824
0403 879 488
edgar.s@unsw.edu.au
www.srss.unsw.edu.au/research/helmetstudy.html
what constitutes a helmet related crash? as in it was caused by your helmet? or just that you wrote a helmet off?

Return to “Conversation”