Bowral

For all things Velodrome
Toff

Postby Toff » 05 Apr 2009, 22:53

So last night we were driving back through the southern highlands after another year of Brigadoon at Bundanoon, when a sign caught my eye. The sign was just off the Illawarra Highway on the Moss Vale side of Bowral. It simply said "Velodrome". Driving home today, I had to stop off to have a closer look.

This one appears to be used by Southern Highlands CC for regular Monday night training, although it doesn't look like they do much racing there. I think it should be included in the DHBC NSW track database. I know some tracks which get raced on regularly are not included in the database (e.g. Lidcome and Merrylands) but I assumed that was because they weren't proper banked tracks. Well this one is the real deal. 333m with banking roughly the same as Tempe, although the ashphalt surface could do with an upgrade soon...

Anyone know more about this track?

timyone

Postby timyone » 07 Apr 2009, 22:54

wow nice!
they do their open at dunc instead hey :(

Brownie

Postby Brownie » 11 Apr 2009, 20:52

The track at Burradoo is a mirror copy of Tempe except it is ashphalt. The Southern Highlands club do use the track regularly as stated as does the local high schools. In the 1990's the track was used for the Southern Highlands open before the Dunc Gray Velodrome was built (which used to be the day after the Illawarra Open). This carnival was a day event as there is no lighting (as per the pics). The Southern Highlands club has been trying to obtain lighting for the track for some time.

The track is rough and bumpy in the turns and you could chew through a light weight set of tyres in a carnival if you weren't careful. It is also quite a slow track due to the rough surface. Riding 90 inch gear around here feels more like 96 inch.

Return to “Track”